News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

76 450 SEL putt putt putt on first acceleration

Started by shehabm, 16 May 2005, 03:54 PM

shehabm

I have a 450 SEL that putt putt's when I first hit the acceleration. After that it seems to be fine, but if I let off the gas and accelerate again, I feel the hesitation once again.

I've changed the spark plugs and wires, air filter is clean and no obstructions...I've sprayed that carburator cleaner stuff but it didn't help.

It all happened at once. I was deccelerating because a car was in front of me going up hill and then I accelerated abruptly and that's when it started. Any help?

Mforcer

How long has this been happening? A few years back, I had a similar problem that started without warning. In my situation, the car would stutter when driving either off the line or up hills although not always.

The dealer I was taking my car to couldn't find a problem until one day the car just stopped and refused to drive more than a few metres before switching off.

The problem was finally diagnosed as the engine being incorrectly wired (? I don't know any more than this). The only time the engine had been worked on was by the same dealer and it hadn't had anything major done for years and had been driving fine until this happening.

I am not sure if this will be any help but perhaps someone else will know better.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

shehabm

It just started happening about 3 weeks ago all at once.  Could I perhaps have messed up the timing ny the abrupt acceleration while the car was decelerating?

Mforcer

I would be most surprised and even disappointed if you were able to mess up anything by driving the car, no matter how hard you pushed it. I suspect the problem with mine was that the timing was out and that it only became apparent with hard acceleration or pushing up a hill, and even then only after quite some time running fine. This part still puzzles me.

A little off topic, have you seen the movie 'Ronin' or any of the old James Bond and similar films from the '70s? I love watching the W116 being driven in the car chases.

I plan to take my car to the track to see what it is capable of and it should handle acclerating and decelerating just fine. If not, it would be a sign of something else is wrong that I consider should be fixed anyway.

I wish I had more (some) technical knowledge to help more but can only relay the experience I have had. Keep us updated and let us know what is wrong with your car when you do find out.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200