News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

'73 280SEL (116 025) Fusebox insert MIA

Started by Frankenstien, 04 April 2020, 12:27 PM

Frankenstien

Hey all ... it's been a while since I've haunted this place ... strange days out there eh? ... hopefully the COVID-19 situation is not gettin' out of hand down under ... I see here in Canada we're up to 215 fatalities so far ... what a bummer ...

So, since I gotta' stay home all the time lately, I might as well try and get something working on my car ... like my windshield wipers ... in case it rains ... here in Vancouver ... never rains here - right?

I looked in the Service Manual Library (under '75 [& '76] 280 S [American models? - mine is a LHD German domestic production model that was later imported into Canada] - Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals - Wiring Diagram) for FUSE DATA and now have more info than I did before ... however, the Fusebox insert (card jammed into underside of Fusebox cover) is missing ... I don't suppose anyone has the correct one for a '73 116?  I have gavin116's from the 1979 450SE "Mrs White" ... but that car's 6 years newer than mine.

As far as I can tell from the SML literature, my 'Windshield wiper/washer' is controlled by a red 16A ceramic fuse at position # 8 ... that fuse in my car is good.

Perusing the wiring diagram in grid L3 (page 6 of 10 of '75s.pdf', attached here for convenience), I see that (if it's wired the same as my car) there is a 'TRANSISTORIZED' 'INTERNAL WIPE RELAY' (internal to what?  location?) as well as a 'PARK RUN SWITCH' in the 'WIPER MOTOR' controlling the wiper motor functions ... I've studied NOTEs 1, 2 & 3 ... however, most of the smaller font near the connectors is illegible ...

Can anyone offer the location of the transistorized internal wipe relay and a progressive wipers troubleshooting methodology?  Hopefully koan is still hangin' out here ... after reviewing my old posts and another one koan started back in 2011 (Strandded!!!), I think he may know exactly how to proceed (even with no tram behind him!) ...

Thanks, and, be well ... FFF

FFF edit: added pics of my Fusebox ... I tried re-seating the two relays pictured there ... in case one of them was the wiper relay and the connections were being stodgy ... no dice ... the missing fuse (red 16A ceramic fuse at position # 3) is for the blower ... which still runs constantly (see « Reply #20 on: 05 January 2015, 11:26 AM » in '78 280SEL RHD (UK) - heater problem #1) ... never did get that sorted out (yet) ...

Nabstud

Not sure if this helps, is from my RHD Australian delivered 1975 280S.

1975 280S - Australian delivered

Frankenstien

Nabstud ... that is helpful ... thank you very much ... there are interesting little differences in all of the inserts I have come across so far ... FFF

ptashek

I've made printable copies of the insert as found on my 1979 euro 450SE a few years back.

Here's the original thread with links to PDF and SVG versions: https://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/fuse-designation-card/msg125031/#msg125031

You may need to scale them, apparently they're slightly loose fitting for some folks.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Frankenstien

ptashek ... those are also helpful (I see Hotbasco also provided a pic of a German language insert in the thread you ref.) ... those files of yours depict very clean and straight insert images!  (Did you author the SVG file?  It was a bit of a puzzle for me, as far as downloading it was concerned ... I had to look here: SVG File (What It Is and How to Open & Convert One) for a clue) ... thank you very much ... I still continue to see little differences in the various inserts I have come across so far ... FFF

ptashek

Yes, I've made both the PDF and SVG files based on the insert from my car. The wording and layout were copied over as-is.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

koan

Quote from: Frankenstien on 04 April 2020, 12:27 PM
Can anyone offer the location of the transistorized internal wipe relay and a progressive wipers troubleshooting methodology?  Hopefully koan is still hangin' out here ... after reviewing my old posts and another one koan started back in 2011 (Strandded!!!), I think he may know exactly how to proceed (even with no tram behind him!) ...

Hi All,

Yeah, I'm still around, upright and breathing, visit the forum only very occasionally.

I'm enjoying my E55 enormously, it's money pit though, just as much or more so than the old 6.9, $3000 for a SBS pump is the most recent expense.

Wipers are one area I've not explored as I never had a problem with them.

The Intermittent Wiper Relay is above your feet near the steering column, the part number I have is 000 821 08 63 which might help in identifying it.

However if the wipers don't work in positions II and III I don't think that's the problem.

From what I can gather from the wiring diagram the II and III positions of the switch should work even if the intermittent relay is unplugged.

I'd look at the wiper motor first. Very hazy recollection of this and could be totally wrong but as I remember there is a 6 pin plug/socket on the fire wall that connects to the wiper motor. Pin 3 is ground, pin 4 is slow speed and pin 6 is high speed (it looks like there are numbered wires on the motor itself but they are not the same as the plug/socket numbers).

I would be connecting the battery ground to to pin 3 of the firewall socket and battery positive briefly to pin 4 or 6  (maybe with a 20 amp fuse in the wire) to see if the motor shows any signs of life.

If the motor runs there's a problem in the wiring somewhere or maybe the combination switch.

Good luck with that and all at your own risk of course!

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

koan

Hi Again,

Just looking through some old pictures and can't see the 6 pin connector on the firewall but there is one somewhere, probably  under the scuttle panel.

Also appears to be different versions of the intermittent relay or the insides are drawn differently on different diagrams, but the wiring is the same.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Frankenstien

koan! ... thanks so much for weighing in on this issue ... glad to hear all's well for you down there ... I myself seem to be lucky ... or very C-virus tolerant - who knows? ... no tests for it or the anti-b's widely available here yet ...

I was curious to see what sort of car used a $3K SBS pump ... did I find the right one?  That's a pump you wouldn't want to have to replace twice (or even once, although I take it you bit the bullet on that one) ... that's like Henneken Auto Sales & Service here in Vancouver telling me I needed a $2,600 Absolute Pressure Sensor replaced on my car ... guess what?  I learned to live with the periodic lurching while cruising along that occurs w/o it working just so ... do you still have the 6.9?

Your input on how to approach this wipers issue is invaluable ... I'll go looking / testing later today ... when you say 'scuttle' panel, do you mean the polished aluminum (valance?) panel situated at the base of the windshield ... from which the wiper motor linkage shafts (to connect to wiper arms) protrude?

Thanks again eh?

FFF

daantjie

FFF if you want a solid guy to work on your newer Benz try Euroclass motors in Langley.  I don't think they work on classics but he gets rave reviews from the local Benz crowd.  Ex Benz trained tech, Walther.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Frankenstien

daantjie ... thanks for the tip ... I didn't notice you were local to me 'til just now ... the '73 280SEL (116 025) is the only M.-B. I own ... one is enough ... I've got a '91 850i that supplies all the other German auto puzzles I can handle ... FFF