News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

690SE - Engine Transplant

Started by SELfor50, 26 December 2009, 08:43 AM

SELfor50

Began the engine transplant on the 690SE today.

There's lots of pics so I'll let them do the talking mostly, but here's a quick list of what was accomplished today.  I will say on a side note, the new engine was a little dusty when we removed the wrap, but after dusting it off - it really is comforting to see new bolts, nuts, heads, cams etc etc etc...  Best Christmas ever Santa.  8)

• Reflect
                • Drop Exhaust Off
                • Un-bolt Transmission and separate Tail Shaft
                • Remove Transmission
                • Disconnect everything that's connected to the engine
                • Disconnect some more ish
                • Lift old engine out
                • Un-wrap new engine
                • Clean up new engine
                • Sandblast Manifolds
                • Clean up new engine some more
                • Clean engine bay
                • Remove suspension pump and plate over on new engine
                • Reflect some more
                • Have a beer

There was a few little challenges in between, but mostly everything went smooth..

Install of the new old stock M100 will begin tomorrow morning.

Special thanks to MB Spares for their assistance on Boxing Day. :cool: ;)

Enjoy,
Cam.  :)[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

TJ 450

That's what I call an Xmas present! Spectacular. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

That new M100 is a thing of beauty.  Gee those guys are brave (or they have a lot of faith in their equipment) to lift a M100 at the longest extension of the crane.

What is the state of the previous original 6.9 motor?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

SELfor50

Hahah.. Best xmas present ever!  ;D

They have faith in the equipment.  The crane was fine.  In fact on the way back in today, Ian had a bit of a joke and dropped the engine for about a mili-second.. scared the fark out of me.  Mainly cause I was trying to guide it in.. bastard.

The old engine was running fine.  Blowing a bit of smoke, but not overly.  Ran good, pulled hard.  It will get 'retired' to the race car from now on.  ;D ;)  Just have to get an oil reservoir fab'd up and a few other things.  It's already an SEL body so shouldn't have too much to do (not as much as the SE anyway).

New post to follow with today's pics.

Cam.

SELfor50

Thanks for the comments peeps.

Today was;

Sleep In
Start late
Exhaust Manifolds on
Engine in
F*%k around with engine mount positioning
Lift new transmission in
Connect transmission
Install new Radiator
Re-connect all radiator hoses
Re-connect all oil lines
F*$k around with flange for bottom oil line
Swap flange for bottom oil line of my other M100 engine.  Not the engine we removed, we were already using that flange - the 2 way brass fitting stripped the thread on the flange - was already stuffed from the install from previous owner.  We just finished it off. :mad:
Un-fortunately I had to use the spare flange off the other M100 engine I had purchased previously for a re-build.  This meant driving home to get it - thankfully a mate volunteered - thanks Dan.
If the new owner of that engine is reading this - SORRY Had to use it. :o  I'll source you a new one before you pick it up. ;)

Reconnected remaining oil lines and transmission lines
Re-connect tail shaft / coupling etc..
Install engine stabiliser / shock thingys
Re-connect Exhaust
Leave workshop and arrive home to sisters 30th Birthday 4hours late
Accept that Mum is pi$$ed off with me - :(
Remember I have a new M100 engine and then i'm ok. :eek: :D

Pics:

TJ 450

That's quite an achievement. I had nothing but trouble with the sump fittings, mainly with distortion of the flanges when I had the hoses replaced... they clamped them in a vise using far too much force! >:(

I suppose that was my fault for leaving it on the hose.

Engine mounts are also a PITA, it seems to be quite difficult to get them in the right spot.

That engine is simply amazing.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

In a vice??!!  Damn..  If there's one thing I've learnt the last 2 days - it's you're never to old to strip a truckload of threads in one day.  :'(  That was me.  :-[  Although on the flange one, at least that was already half done when I got there..... so I'm not entirely to blame.

Anyway, no updates last night.  Didn't get home till midnight, and being I had to get a lift of the GF, I didn't dare jump on the computer when getting home. :(

I'll post picture update below.  Summary of the last 2 days is:

Re-wire a number of connections to 'tidy' up
Re-connect all other wires, fuel lines, plugs, connectors, etc etc..
Fuel filter
Oil Filter
Plugs
Fluids
Crank engine to build up oel pressure and confirm fuel delivery
Realise that when battery is connected - starter motor stays on permanently - constant crank.
F&%K around with starter motor connections
No crank
Full-time crank in position 2 of ignition switch
No crank
No crank
No crank
Swap starter motor
Crank as it should be in start position and stopping in on position
Kick motor over - stopped after 30seconds
Try and start engine for 2hours
Sleep

F*$ked around with K-jet system and air flap sensor for 1-2hours this morning
Analysed old K-jet air flap sensor / fuel distributor setup
Removed fuel distributor
Fuel distributor had the middle piston seized - :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Swapped fuel distributor
Adjusted mixtures for pre-start
Primed engine
Started
Mixtures
Timing
Test-drive
Transmission fluid top-up
Gear changes still too smooth (really really smooth - not just cause I like it rough :D )
Swap modulator valve / diaphram on gearbox
Adjust
Adjust modulator some more
Test drive
Test drive some more
Test tyres

In summary, the gearbox is still not shifting how i'd like.  In fact the shift points are all over the shop, and the changes are still quite a distance out.  It's almost like an Electric transmission where it sits and matches the gear before change - makes it very lazy.  Not like a traditional 116 box (at least none of the one's that i've driven) where it still always has a little harshness in it - which kicks nicely when really punching it.

The engine starts inside .5 seconds every time.  Will see how it starts in the morning.
It's the quitest 116 engine i've ever heard.  It's quite surreal to stand at the engine bay and here it purring like a cat from the get go.  No lumpyness (even though that's nice at times) just smooth delivery. 

Power - it has increased somewhat.   Mainly it's the fact that it's on-tap throughout the entire rev range.  The old engine would drop off at about 5k on the tacho.  This engine can kick past that and still feels like it's got full delivery (understandably I haven't 'really' pushed it too hard yet).  It just seems to fire extremely smooth throughout the entire range.  Best explantion I can give it.

Compression = 150psi BANG ON, ON EVERY CYLINDER.  :eek::eek: :)
I am a happy camper.

Anyway, enjoy the photos, videos to come later.

Cam.

Compression Test

Farkn starter motors.... :mad:

Mixtures set to 14.4, and timing was set to 10deg advance

Victory! :D

Testing Reverse

Testing 1st Gear

Testing 2nd Gear

Testing 3rd Gear

Massive thanks to the John Green & the team @ MB Spares for a very neat and tidy job!!  :)

The 1st Drive

...and the last time you'll see me in the rearview mirror. :rolleyes: :D

Big_Richard

very nice test drive  8)

out of interest, was the old engine also running 10 degrees advance ?

I would of thought that was a bit much, unless you were running on say, avgas ;)

TJ 450

Hahaha, by the look of the marks that's one strong engine.

About the transmission, it sounds like it needs adjustment. If the shift points seem strange, then the control pressure rod probably needs adjustment. If the quality of the shifts is off, then the modulator needs adjustment. It's fiddly, but you'll find the sweet spot.  8)

Was the 10deg advanced without vacuum?

Did you go with the Valvoline synthetic?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

I think the old engine was running about 10deg advance.

I tell a lie, the new one is about 8-9deg advance.  But even so, there's no pinging - it's completely fine.

Only using 98ron.. but I do have some stock of 'special' fuel that I'll try at some point.    Probably save that for the dyno run.  :-X

The engine feels very strong, and as I said.. just sooooo damn smooth through the entire range.  Compression test blew me away how spot on they all were.  Feels brand new.

The transmission will take a few more adjustments today to get right, but yeah.. combination of modulator adjustment and shift rod adjustment should find that G Spot.  ;D

10Deg advance was without vacuum.

For Oil, ended up going with Valvoline Semi-Synth 15-50 for the first 5-10000km's.. then will evaluate after that.   I'd imagine I'll switch to full synthetic at that point.. Advice i've been given though is, to not go thinner than a 15-50.. so will have to find a fully syn oil that's about that.

Next on the list is paintjob.. Getting the bonnet / boot done next week (blended to guards as well).. just to touch it up for the rest of summer.  Will contemplate full re-spray after the power increase projects commence next year.

nathan

holy crap was that a quick job! very impressive. i would have been too attached to ever put that new engine in, and im sure the like of TJ would have it in their bed to help them get to sleep at night.
3rd gear testing pics ha ha
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

i just knew i should of bought that F-ing engine now ;)

i had the cash lying around too, but No!, i had to purchase 55 linear meters of fencing!  ::)

oscar

LOL, all dressed up looking like you own the joint ;D if you going to do things right you might as well dress the part ;) and way to go on the test drives. 8) 8) Never seen Lyell street so deserted.  Any other day it's packed.

Hell Major Tom, I'm jealous I didn't get a loan and go into a bidding war to buy this thing. ;D

Awsome to see that crane in action.  Just cos the one I just bought looks the same, red too.  I know they all look generally the same but the bits that count look the same, supports, pivots, ram....  I would assume that jib is extended to the 250kg mark and there seems to be a bit of a bend in it.  Just wondering was there a real need to go that length?  Could the 500 or 750 mark be used instead?   And does anyone know the weight of a 6.9 and the weight of the transmission?  I thought the idea was to pull both out or put the new units in already connected??

Anyway I'm heading to Capitown tomorrow.  Expect some more pics and a vid or two, I'm bringing my cameras  8)

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

i want the MB overalls that the MB technicians get to wear and that blue jacket aint too shabby either - where can i get them ?

SELfor50

Nathan, if it didn't go in this week - it was coming home to sit in my bedroom. :)

I had my doubts about it when I first bought it - and secrectly was holding my breath bigtime - mainly until the compression test.
Almost talked myself out of doing it just in case I was disappointed.  But it was worth every penny.

1 mate took it for a blast today and said there was a very very noticeable difference.  Which makes it worthwhile.

Fencing?? not a big fan of the sport. ;)

Fuel consumption wise, I put 43L in yesterday.  And down to the same mark today I got 210km's out of it.. and I haven't been too conservative.
I have every confidence I can get 500km's out of a tank with half of that being around town driving.  Compared to 320km's previously... and 380km's or so on highway trips.

Oscar, look forward to catching up tomorrow.  Bring the camera's for sure, I have to film the look on your face when you take her for a spin. ;)

Cam.