News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

690SE - Engine Transplant

Started by SELfor50, 26 December 2009, 08:43 AM

SELfor50

Spent the day stripping the beast out prepping for the track.

The dash / heater box / heater fan and other miscellaneous dash stuff - weighs a fucking tonne.

Starting weight was right 1900kgs or so.

Target weight is 1500kgs.

I reckon at the moment, I'm probably at about 1700kgs or so at the moment.  Still a whole bunch to go...plus 20kegs on the driver.

TJ 450

Looking good, very good indeed.

This machine is going to move very quickly with these mods, I'm sure.

I would actually remove the sound deadening and replace it with Dynamat or leave it out altogether... an even further reduction in weight.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Quote from: TJ 450 on 09 October 2010, 03:11 AM
Looking good, very good indeed.

This machine is going to move very quickly with these mods, I'm sure.

I would actually remove the sound deadening and replace it with Dynamat or leave it out altogether... an even further reduction in weight.

Tim

It's all been removed.  There is only the last little bit around the transmission tunnel that's under the shifter etc...  In the pictures at the top you'll notice there's more done.. posted them in the wrong order.  :-[  Pretty much only things that will be inside the vehicle will be 2 recaro's (not sure if they're genuine or not, but who cares at $180 for 2 of them)
Shifter
Aluminium instrument cluster
Switch Panel for all switches.

Looking to try and found out how I can get a front windscreen with the electric wire de-mister built into the glass.  Anyone?!

Man, that sound deadening ish is FARKN HEAVY!!!!  the tiniest bit from the back, you pull it up and it feels like a lead.

TJ 450

I see, now indeed that's what I'm talking about. 8)

The stuff is very heavy and not even as good as modern equivalents in keeping noise and vibration levels down, not only that, but it holds water... a lose-lose situation.

This project of yours is very exciting, even for me just hearing about it/seeing the pics. 8)

BTW, I'm on a caffeine high at the moment, but I am very impressed regardless. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

I'm impressed and I'm on a Caffeine low.

Bill

benzguy

Congratulations on a job very well done! :)

oscar

I reckon cut out the firewall insulation too.  That's what thingamajig from QLD was doing on his restored 6.9.  Shrouds or heat tape over exhaust for sure but I'm planning on removing my firewall stuff too.  Plus old POVO has got layers of putty to fix rust spots in the floor too weighs a tonee with all the other insulation stuff.  It's like that Top Gear episode where they got Polish tradesman to renovate a w124 I think.  Clarkson got the floor concreted or rendered.  

Anyway, pretty soon you'll have a sound deadening helmet with full coms to the pits 8) but if it gets too loud in the meantime, put ear plugs in.  

EDIT
Quote from: SELfor50 on 09 October 2010, 06:13 AM

Looking to try and found out how I can get a front windscreen with the electric wire de-mister built into the glass.  Anyone?!

What about that anti fog spray stuff, for use in goggles and helmets and presumably winodws?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 11 October 2010, 09:52 PM
I reckon cut out the firewall insulation too.  That's what thingamajig from QLD was doing on his restored 6.9.  Shrouds or heat tape over exhaust for sure but I'm planning on removing my firewall stuff too.  Plus old POVO has got layers of putty to fix rust spots in the floor too weighs a tonee with all the other insulation stuff.  It's like that Top Gear episode where they got Polish tradesman to renovate a w124 I think.  Clarkson got the floor concreted or rendered.  

Anyway, pretty soon you'll have a sound deadening helmet with full coms to the pits 8) but if it gets too loud in the meantime, put ear plugs in.  

EDIT
Quote from: SELfor50 on 09 October 2010, 06:13 AM

What about that anti fog spray stuff, for use in goggles and helmets and presumably winodws?

Firewall insulation in the engine bay side?  I'm going to be cutting some holes in the bonnet for in/out air circulation.. structured gills to get the heat out, and also ones to get cold air in.. nothing that's lairy, just functional.

There's going to be alot of heat in the engine bay after project is finished, so I think the insulation might be welcomed so I don't melt the rubber on my shoes.  :o

Full coms to the pits?  Would be nice...... See if I can get it up to IPRA standards to race.  Not sure if they'd allow it to?!  Anyone know about what the rules are on running a 30yr old benz?  I think they'd not let it run cause no-one would get past me.  ;D

Not sure what the spray stuff is, but I'll scope it out.  Worst case I get a small electric fan / heater with some light plumbing to the front windscreen.. either way, the Benz heater fan / heater box weighs too much!

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 12 October 2010, 06:26 PM
Firewall insulation in the engine bay side? 

Yeah.  Just like 69ltr did on his reno'. http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/underbody-restoration-6-9/msg67703/#msg67703
Just a thought.  But man I haven't scoped that thread for ages.  I forgot how good that car looked.

About that antifog spray.  I can't think of any names off hand but I know you can get it at all good and bad auto shops.

SELfor50

Man, that is such a nice restoration.  Blow's me away how bloody tidy it is.  Where's he gone?  I'm keen to see the finished thing!

...anyway, update on work.  Stopped past the engine builders workshop.  He's only done 1 chamber, waiting to test it on the flow bench to see what the difference is.
Still has to remove the round lip that's just down from the valve seats.  Hard to tell in the photos though.

Enjoy!

OLD VS NEW

Shiny Chamber

Inside the Inlet Port

TJ 450

Mods aside, that's a good head... it just confirms the NOS-ness. These are the original ones from that engine, right?

So, after presumably porting and polishing, what else is going to be done?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

I keep walking past and eyeing off carbide bits in a locked cabinet at my local engineering shop.  With a few 280 heads to play with I'm going to have a go at this.  Nicely done Cam.  Who's doing the work?

SELfor50

Quote from: TJ 450 on 18 October 2010, 06:54 AM
Mods aside, that's a good head... it just confirms the NOS-ness. These are the original ones from that engine, right?

So, after presumably porting and polishing, what else is going to be done?

Tim

Yep, the Engine Builder said exactly the same thing.  He said a) it's nice to work on something that is almost new and doesn't have any real carbon build up.
and b) It's nice to work on a well designed head, as opposed to Yankee chev rubbish.  ..end quote.  ;D

Planned work is:

Port / Polish of heads
Port / Polish of manifold
Match port the manifold
Fitting of LS1 throttle body to Manifold and match porting to heads
Modified Camshafts from Europe with overlap and additional lift, modified rocker arms to match (CAMS will be re-hardened, etc etc.. like from factory)
Autronic SM4 OR LS1 PCM EFI  (there is a guy in sydney modifying LS1 PCM's to suit a dizzy etc... so trigger points in the dizzy, LS1 PCM (plugs straight onto the LS1 throttle body) and fuel rails, injectors, TPS and a few other sensors etc... and away you go.
If I go Autronic, then I'll be doing Coil Packs as well and wasted spark using Bosch 4 channel ignition unit (as recommended by crazy swedish dude with twin turbo 560)
2 x Hairdryers, 1 on each side.  :o
Water/Methanol Injection to keep things cooler
Additional Power Steering Cooler
Additional Transmission Cooler
Water to Air Intercooler
Front Mount Intercooler
Modified Bonnet to circulate air much better than standard (probably fibreglass too)
Fuel Cell and new Lines
Extreme Weight Reduction and better distribution (whatever I can move to the back I will)
Strip back completely and a DIY respray (not sure what colour)
Custom Dash (with all gauges needed)
B&M Ratchet Shifter with Reverse Lockout
560SEC LSD Diff with 2.88 Ratio, with Flange connection half shafts (like WGB did) - also will get it re-built and 'tightened' up by Diff shop so that it will be as good as a lock diff without having the negative effects of a lock diff.
2 x Bucket Seats in the front
2 x 4 point Harnesses

...bout all I can think of for now.  It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.   :)
Quote from: oscar on 18 October 2010, 06:23 PM
I keep walking past and eyeing off carbide bits in a locked cabinet at my local engineering shop.  With a few 280 heads to play with I'm going to have a go at this.  Nicely done Cam.  Who's doing the work?

Do it up dude.  I wouldn't try it in a million years myself.  I'm just to impatient.  Can type 100wpm.. and jumper 200 phone circuits an hour....but holding a hand steady to grind something like an artist.  Not my thing.  :-[

Pro Engines in Canberra are doing the work.  Greg was recommended by Motec6.9 as he used to live in Canberra.. and I can honestly say that I'm very happy so far.  A few other people interstate also recommended him.  Ironically I only found out after I chose where I was going to go, that one of the mechanics from MB Spares got his EVO engine built by this dude - and that is a farkn rocket.  8)