News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

690SE - Engine Transplant

Started by SELfor50, 26 December 2009, 08:43 AM

SELfor50

..forgot - the engine lifter was on the longest setting cause it was just already there.  Changing the length meant a longer wait till the test-drive.    ::) ;D

Handled it fine though. 

TJ 450

Lucky the tranny was removed, as that makes the combo really heavy. The M100 is no lightweight.

There's no substitute for having engines and gearboxes in your bedroom. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

motec6.9

Great pictures Cam i would love to see your car when i come over next year for the nats with my 6.9 i was going to come over for a look at this years nats but work is sending me to china on the 3rd of Jan .Ps still havent got around to putting photo's up no net since last Thursday Damn Tel!@#% :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

oscar

Well I went over there yesterday.  Was a bit rushed to load one engine before MBSpares closed then load the "other" spare which is now my new engine.  I now own a 6.9......engine woot! 8)  More on that later. 

It started to rain too so although we got a couple of test runs in I didn't really get a chance to film much or do any 0-100's.  It's an 800km round about trip for me so time was short and the rain kind of killed any chances of trying to go drifting around Federal Parliament.  However, the car feels amazing.  This was my first drive of a 6.9 let alone a SWB 6.9 and dare I say the newest m100 in the world ;) .  Engine's smooth as Cam has stated.  No stutter or hessitation throughout the rev range.  Nearly shat myself when the rear lost traction whilst already in 2nd gear.  To me the exhaust sounds awsome with the sound of a large V8 at idle that's louder on acceleration plus the crackle and pop on the overrun.  I have to stress none of it seemed deafening.  I took note from inside and outside during a drive-by.  A rap for the exhaust system rather than engine I suppose but it's nothing like some exhausts that have people in the street frown at for being too loud. 

Suspension was fantastic too I might add.   All round conventional with billies, (forget exact details), it's firm and responsive without any jarring.  Felt in every way like a quality modern car and so positive when turning the steering wheel.  It went where I wanted it to go without offering any resistance and without being overly helpful.  It was tight in a good way, one hand steerable and no slop.  My 10yo was in the back the whole time and three of us giggled like men  ::)  It was great fun. 
My son said, "Dad, you have to buy a 6.9".
"Maaaate, what do you think we just put in to the trailer?". 
"Cool!" he shouted.  All I could think is that he'll be in his late twenties before he gets a chance to drive it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Great review oscar. ;)

It's good to get another opinion on the suspension and happy to confirm my thoughts on the smoothness of power delivery through the range. -except for 2nd gear not sure why the car kicks out in 2nd. ;D

On the exhaust it's quite strange. A mate only said today also, it seems to be significantly quiter after the transplant. I don't really understand how it's so different, maybe someone else can shed some light.
Would it be mixture related (the old engine was running pretty rich). Or cause the cams were a much older and a bit worn making them more lumpy? I'm stumped.
It just doesn't have that same end of the world sound that it had before the swap. Which is actually a good thing.. Cause it means I don't get those "that's too far" looks anymore. :-/

kru0042

Well Gentlemen, I think this post is the epitome of WOW factor I have ever seen in this fair forum. I am the owner of a 450 SEL, and have only seen a 6.9 engine in photographs, but what an impressive set of pics indeed! I am certain that I could actually smell some of the aroma of that engine and the residue of rubber laid down on pavement.

When I was a young man, the measure of the man in the (German) world of my father and his brothers was the model of Mercedes driven. One uncle in particular stands out. He had two W116's. One for him and one for his lady friend (not to be confused with his wife). He had endured and survived the indescribable hell of the Eastern Front to become a successful businessman in Canada, and his 450 SEL was tangible proof of his worth. I later heard from my mother that he had a "sechs neuner"... a 6.9 Now I know why there was such a great buzz when this car was mentioned.

Well Done!
Super Einspritz Lang

motec6.9

Hi cam only 1 week to go till the summernats i hope you have fun cruising around .by the way work shops around Canberra there is a good engine rebuilder at 18 stephens rd qeanbeyan called Pro engines the owner is Greg Tarlington have had work done by him in the past when i had a Merc Sprinter as a Taxi in Canberra 2.9 TD engine needed to be rebuilt after 6 months on the road done under warranty via Star Motors who i believe went bust a few years back. And a Good late freind of mine was John Phillips who owned Progress Motors at 90 urriara rd Queanbeyan it is his workshop that Pual Keatings W100 is photographed in on mbspares web page. He used to race a Porsche 996 rscs he used a suspension buisiness that was on Yass road in Queanbeyan i cant remeber the name but owners name was chris i think. Anyway have fun with your car looks great ;D

SELfor50

Thanks for the kind words Geoff and references.. hopefully I won't need any re-builds for awhile.  However I'm still trying to find someone who wants to take on the EFI project.  After consideration I think i'll be steering clear of bungendore and going to a reputable performance shop.  Any recommendations on that front?

1 week from the Nats, i'll be out and about for sure.  Hoping to get my AMG spoiler painted and fitted along with the re-spray this week.  Should get her looking nice.

Are you going to bring your six9 across next year for the nats?  It'd be pretty sweet to have them both up to scratch and entered.  ;)

motec6.9

Hi Cam yes i am planning to come across for the nats will have new engine in by then built by Southside engines in Perth work being done as i pay for it heads now done with porting and polishing Custom made vavles in stainless steel  thiner valve stems with bronze guides fitted cost 3000 the crank is to be offset ground capacity will be around 7.8 litres only instructions were that i want 500hp nice round figure. As for EFI while at the nats chase up some workshops as motec and haltech are normaly there . I dont like to rubbish people but stay away from Bungendore work was farmed out to rotary workshop at gladstone st fyshwick NO WAY VERY BAD JOB COMPLAINED TO HALTECH ABOUT THE WORK . You could go to the dyno shoot out and see Marcus from Gentech and ask who he recomends or go and see Rick Bates out at Hume i should of gone with Rick from the start he quoted 8000 for the job back in 2001 with motec but that was with my car which had no fuel tank and was on striat gas. ;D

oscar

7.8! 8)  8)  What did you do for pistons? Is it a case of oversize rings to fill the bore or did you need bigger pistons and if so, custom jobbies?  Any coatings on the pistons too?

Big thumbs up for the other mods.  Awsome stuff.

motec6.9

Hi yes they are cusom pistons having the crankshaft offset ground to take big block chev crank journals dont worry about who is doing the work .Not cheap but they build john zappia's engines google zaps rat undeated last 2 years top doorslammer. Have allready had block sonic tested and crank exrayed all good. Still have OZNOS Fogger system maybe maybe not with forged pistons and other work could be fun with 300hp hit. ;D

oscar

I'm not sure what to say.  That's just awsome.  I can't imagine I'll be taking an M100 to that level but glad to see what possibilities are out there.   I've never been to a summernats and will miss this year too but if your beast is coming over next year I'll have to make sure I get there to take a look at it.

SELfor50

Farkn 'ell!!!  That's some serious action Geoff.  8) 8)  :)

7.8L is off tap.  Didn't realise you were going that far.  I guess the best part is you're keeping the Benz block and heads etc..  Many people would just go the full Chev route and swap the engine.. I guess you know what these engine's are capable of.

After that work, should be fine to hit 300hp pills through it.

I'm so keen to see the finished product.  8)

I've spoken to Rick before, actually even ridden in a car with him during a stunt / skill session with the hilux heroes.  Will have to get in touch and ask him if he'd take it on.  I'd be more than happy to pay the price for a quality job - nothing forgotten.

On the CAMS from 300SEL.com.  Waiting for a response from them, but is that what you're going for in your car?  And if they're 6.3 cam's will they fit and work the same??

motec6.9

By the way if you put in 600grand.com you will find Karl H Midlehause or KHM he works on 600 and 6.3 he also sells custom made intake manifolds for m-100 engines asked about 5 years ago was not sure if it would fit 6.9 looks like come intake has photo's of 600 supercharged and turboed and sells them with efi computer FAST.com as for chevs been there done that want to be different had hq with 454 fully road legal and inspected sold in 98. ;D

flutes

This one?  Link

God I want a Pullman...
Matt
1977 450SEL