News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

6.9 Transverse Control Arm left side NLA

Started by Rolo, 18 March 2021, 01:54 PM

Rolo

Go figure.  80 right sides and zero left sides.  If I wanted to sell the 80, I'd whip up some right sides, but I'm a businessman, not an engineer.

The replacement boots are available.  We haven't gotten everything torn down, so we don't know if the ball joints are still in good enough condition to grease and seal up.

Anyone try the aftermarket pieces in a 6.9?

daantjie

Are you talking about the ball joint at the bottom of the spindle?  These are cheap and readily available as they are used across many models.

The Lower control arm - you can use one from the 450SEL if you want, then you just remove the metal mount for the spring.  There is provision for the bottom ball joint of the strut to bolt right in.  Unless we are talking about different parts here, you might want to post a pic.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

It's the upper arm that attaches to the torsion anti-sway bar.  PN 116 330 70 01

daantjie

OK that's the wrong part number, correct one is 116 330 71 07.  You can use the W123 number, 123 330 47 07 RHS, 123 330 46 07 LHS.  Use good brand like Lemforder or TRW.  You also need the 2x rubber bushings on each side as well 116 333 0117.  I know there was some talk about 6.9 specific arms but honestly I think it's bullshit and it's fine to use the 123 numbers.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

john erbe

Perfect timing. Had just checked today with the Classic Center for the lower control arm bushings. Their response, "...Came as a kit 116 330 01 75 NLA"

rumb

I think the next 10 years or so will see all the w116 that will ever be restored again. The rest will go to the junkers. Good time to hoard parts for the rest of your ownership. Critical parts will no longer be available. The next owners will at least get a nice car for a while. Cars like this will be a rare sighting in 50 years, relegated to car shows and such.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Rolo

My plan is to get my car in great shape so that I can drive worry free for the next few years.  Chasing parts is no fun now and will be a major headache in a couple years.  I'm still kicking myself over not getting Euro lights and new struts when I had the chance.

Mattr

Quote from: rumb on 21 March 2021, 10:37 AM
I think the next 10 years or so will see all the w116 that will ever be restored again. The rest will go to the junkers. Good time to hoard parts for the rest of your ownership. Critical parts will no longer be available. The next owners will at least get a nice car for a while. Cars like this will be a rare sighting in 50 years, relegated to car shows and such.

This is true of most non-super-mainstream classics, though. The main reason I didn't buy a Packard* instead of my 450SE is that there's basically a single company that has mountains of old Packards, and charges a premium for any parts not rusted through. California is banning gasoline vehicle sales in 14 years. The end times for ICE engines is coming, unless someone can produce an environmentally friendly fuel to replace gasoline.

3D printing tech, especially for metal, is advancing at a pretty decent rate. It might be that parts supply disappears in the next ten years, but it might also be that the viability of 3D printing replacements goes up. I honestly love the idea of some day being able to buy barstock somewhere, and then 3D print myself a set of lightweight pistons for my car.

* I'm fairly certain it's Packard that's this way. MIGHT be Hudson. It's been a decade or more since I was last shopping.
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

ptashek

Quote from: Mattr on 23 March 2021, 01:36 AM
3D printing tech, especially for metal, is advancing at a pretty decent rate. It might be that parts supply disappears in the next ten years, but it might also be that the viability of 3D printing replacements goes up. I honestly love the idea of some day being able to buy barstock somewhere, and then 3D print myself a set of lightweight pistons for my car.

3D printing was used in the automotive industry for close to three decades. It's nothing new there. The consumer side of it is finally progressing at a decent rate because companies like Stratasys etc. are loosing and/or loosening their patent death grip on the market. Proper SLS (selective laser sintering) printers  still cost hundreds of thousands on the cheap side, but a few years ago it was millions, so there's progress ;)

Also, 3D printed pistons are a reality already - the latest Porsche 911 GT2 RS (prototype test) is an example.
If you have the money, Mahle might be quite happy to comply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztWsivHGL54 (process)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4qrtKAQxU (some more context on the prototype)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio