News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

6.9 suspension repairs - progress on trusty rusty

Started by s class, 21 October 2007, 07:26 AM

s class

OK so now I have both the new front struts, 5 new spheres and 4 new strut hoses waiting.  FINALLY (in between work, family, tennants at my rental properties etc etc) I got a chance to get started. 

I decided to first off drain the oil tank, change the filter and clean everything out. 

It was a shocking discovery of neglect in the past.

First up, here's what the oil looked like.  It IS actually hydro fluid - just the dirtiest you've probably ever seen.  I quickly perished any thoughts of reusing it. 

After I emptied out that little container, this is what I got :  :o

Here's the filter - It wasn't even mounted straight, so fluid was bypassing it......

Here's the inside of the tank before I cleaned it.  Oh dear. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

holy shit batman!

That was filthy!

I bet its going to ride like a million dollars when your finished with it ;)

s class

I am even more than before concerned about how contaminated this system is, and I am seriously thinking of replacing the rear struts as well, just to avoid contaminating my other new parts. 

And the valves?  What should I do?  They are too expensive to just replace for the hell of it. 

My plan is this - I will start at one corner, disconnect the supply line to the sphere, and then run the engine to flush out that hydro line.  Then I will install the new strut + sphere + hose at that corner, and move to the next corner. 

Is this a good plan? 

What can I do to be sure my levelling valves are not retaining crap that might later find its way into my nice new struts?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

From what I hear this sort of crap in the system  is quite common.

I would be interested to hear from Styria or CraigS about whether this sort of condition is actually all that unusual.

Bill

CraigS

Well, it's certainly not going to help with the filter not properly installed that's for sure, and judging by the colour, you will undoubtedly have contamination somewhere in the system. The fluid should never get to be this dirty. As you know, it is almost colourless when clean, and almost difficult to see the fill mark. I don't think I would go the the extent of replacing the rear struts though. I would open the bleeder valve and blow compressed air through each line - separately and from the closest direct point as you suggest. I would do it in both directions. Whatever way you do it is going to make a hell of a mess, but once you have new fluid in the lines, you will be set for several years.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

Hi styria,

Yes, on both rear struts the gaiters are torn.  I have been unfortnately very busy with work and family issues, and so I have still not done a leak test on the struts.  I was in any case not going to bother to leak test the front struts as they were leaking externally and visibly butchered.  The rears I hoped to retain - so although I have not done a leak rate test on them, I have been watching the clear drain tubes, and the right rear appears to be passing fluid at an alarming rate. 

I think I shall have to get a price on rear struts tomorrow.  Some consolation is that they are apparently cheaper than front. 

As to the levelling valves, my original intent was to replace spheres and struts, then see how the car behaves.  The rear levelling valve has torn boots, and is visibly leaking externally, though not terribly fast.  The front levelling valve appears externally OK, but I cant say yet how it is performing. 

Yes I appreciate it is not possible to flush the system completely, and I accept there will be some remaining gunginess.  I may run for a while with the new fluid, and then dump it and flush again fairly soon.  Sure, the fluid is expensive, but nothing compared to the cost of all these new components.  OK so I'm not that worried about remaining gunginess, rather more about larger particulate comtaminants. 

Today I thoroughly cleaned the tank and rubber hoses leading to the metal tube loop (cooler?) in front of the radiator, then on to the pump.  Remember this is the pump that I stripped and meticulously cleaned.  Anyway, I routed the pump discharge hose into a container, not the front valve, and ran the engine for half a minute perhaps.  I was shocked at the large (2mm across) flakes of crap that came out.  Now the only thing in this test system that was not cleaned out was the cooler loop.  An oversight perhaps, but I now think I'm going to have to strip the pump again as it must be similarly re-comtanimated.  It also alarmed me because I realised that the entire system must be in this condition, and I'm worried about damaging my new struts and spheres. 

Can the levelling valves be removed and cleaned/flushed at all, or is a stip/rebuild of the valves the only way to be sure they are clean?

Thanks for all the help guys. 

s class

Hi styria,

Thanks for the help.  If I buy valves from you, do you require the old ones on exchange, if so, is the rear one with torn boots useable to you or not.  If not, then what?

Sorry I have also PM'ed you in a similar line. 

alabbasi

I'm reading this thread with interest. I have a 76 Euro 450SEL 6.9 that has had a horrible spring conversion. Last week I found a Euro 500SEL that had the same self leveling system as the 6.9 and managed to pull the self leveling valves, 5 spheres and four shocks for $80. I hope to convert it back in the near future.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

WGB

Quote from: alabbasi on 22 October 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm reading this thread with interest. I have a 76 Euro 450SEL 6.9 that has had a horrible spring conversion. Last week I found a Euro 500SEL that had the same self leveling system as the 6.9 and managed to pull the self leveling valves, 5 spheres and four shocks for $80. I hope to convert it back in the near future.

The 3 Front spheres are different specification on a 560 - blue/green dot and not the red dots of a 6.9.

The aluminium M117 motor was much lighter than an iron 6.9 and so less pressure in the cells.

Bill

s class

Bill what you say about the 560 is true - but I don't know about the 500SEL.  The early ones had iron blocks I think - Al, you need red dot spheres for the three front ones on the 6.9, blue/green for the 2 rears. 

WGB

Hi S-Class,

It's all in that Tech Manual I sent you last night as it covers the early 126's as well.

I have never heard of iron block 500's - I thought they were all aluminium block - tell me more.

Bill

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 22 October 2007, 02:11 AM
Hi S-Class,

It's all in that Tech Manual I sent you last night as it covers the early 126's as well.

I have never heard of iron block 500's - I thought they were all aluminium block - tell me more.

Bill

He's wrong, your right. There were never any cast iron 5 litres.

the engine was first tested before release in the 450SL 5.0 before the w126 even had it.

alabbasi

I think the 380 and 500 M116 / M117 engines are all alloy. The 420 / 560's are cast iron block alloy head and the 350/450 engines are all iron engines.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

s class

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 22 October 2007, 04:34 AM
He's wrong, your right. There were never any cast iron 5 litres.

uh OK , thanks for correcting me, and sorry for the error. 

s class

styria, I got your PM, and I have enquired at the dealership for a price on rear struts.  Hopefully I'll get an answer tomorrow, whereupon I can count my pennies and see where-to from there.