News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

6.9 suspension questions

Started by raueda1, 04 May 2020, 06:08 PM

raueda1

I decided to replace my accumulators while everything is still open and easy.  The suspension seemed fine when car was last driven but they're of unknown age and condition ("replace on principle").  Got a couple questions:

1.  It turned out that the central accumulator was NG.  Completely filled with oil.  All the rest were still OK.  Yet the last time I drove the car it seemed more or less ok.  I was sometimes balky about raising/lowering and would sometimes drop overnight.  When I got the car it wouldn't drop at all for days and days.  What would the symptoms be of the central accumulator failing?  It's academic, cause now it's replaced, but I'm still curious.  I have a hard time grasping what it even does.

2.  More significant, are the USA and Euro suspensions plumbed the same way?  I wanted to replace one of the lines off the switch on the tank.  When i got back to my parts car (USA version), it seems like the lines were arranged differently.  I could be wrong cause I didn't pay much attention, just assumed they'd be the same.

Comments welcome, as always.  Thanks and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

slfan

Hello Dave,

I am about to also replace all the accumulators in my 6.9 and was going to order these from Pelicanparts.  Their site is now saying for "Pick-up only". Can you tell me where you yours from? I would need another place for sourcing these.  Thank you.

Best regards,
Angel
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

raueda1

Quote from: slfan on 04 May 2020, 07:55 PM
Hello Dave,

I am about to also replace all the accumulators in my 6.9 and was going to order these from Pelicanparts.  Their site is now saying for "Pick-up only". Can you tell me where you yours from? I would need another place for sourcing these.  Thank you.

Best regards,
Angel
From eBay.  Front and rear were different sellers.  The front were Febi if I remember, from valuepartssales and were direct replacements.  The rear were Cortico and NOT direct replacements despite being claimed as such.  They were significantly smaller than the old ones and mount was different.  I'll be returning them.

I found that the front spheres are pretty easy to get on eBay, numerous sellers.  The rear ones are much tougher.  In fact, If anybody can suggest a source for the rear spheres please do post!  Fortunately my old ones are still good and look pretty new, more so than the front. 
-Dave

daantjie

Dave as far as plumbing goes,  later cars had the bleeder valves added for front and rear whereas earlier cars do not have the bleeder. This should be the only difference.  You can always trace the lines by looking at the schematic on the service manual.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 05 May 2020, 01:31 AM
Dave as far as plumbing goes,  later cars had the bleeder valves added for front and rear whereas earlier cars do not have the bleeder. This should be the only difference.  You can always trace the lines by looking at the schematic on the service manual.
Thanks Daniel, that's what I thought.  I need to look at my car more carefully.  I wasn't happy with one of the lines on a sphere under the left front fender.  Can't recall which, I just figured I'd pull all the stuff the parts car and match it up, though some had already been pulled (I think).  Yet the lines under there seemed to go under the bumper to the passenger side.  On my car I thought they went up to the tank.  It's all very confused. :o  Bottom line is I just need look at it harder.  If the only difference is the bleeders then that's helpful.
-Dave

slfan

Quote from: raueda1 on 04 May 2020, 09:21 PM
Hello Dave,

Best regards,
Angel
From eBay.  Front and rear were different sellers.  The front were Febi if I remember, from valuepartssales and were direct replacements.  The rear were Cortico and NOT direct replacements despite being claimed as such.  They were significantly smaller than the old ones and mount was different.  I'll be returning them.

I found that the front spheres are pretty easy to get on eBay, numerous sellers.  The rear ones are much tougher.  In fact, If anybody can suggest a source for the rear spheres please do post!  Fortunately my old ones are still good and look pretty new, more so than the front.

Dave,

Thank you for the information.  I thought I was the only one having a challenge finding these.  I will have to check the Classic Center. 

Best regards,
Angel
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

raueda1

Quote from: slfan on 06 May 2020, 02:14 AM
Quote from: raueda1 on 04 May 2020, 09:21 PM
Hello Dave,

Best regards,
Angel

Dave,

Thank you for the information.  I thought I was the only one having a challenge finding these.  I will have to check the Classic Center. 

Best regards,
Angel
yesterday I ordered these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Suspension-Self-Leveling-Accumulator-Nitrogen-Chamber-OEM-for-Mercedes/133018495778?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.  I'll be pissed if they're wrong too.  We shall see.   Classic Center does have them, I checked but at least 2x as expensive as I recall.
-Dave