News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

6.9 starter

Started by raueda1, 29 July 2019, 07:51 PM

raueda1

Can anybody confirm whether or not the 6.9 starter is unique to the 6.9?  Or same as 450SE or other models?  Thx,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

slfan

It os my understanding that both the Starter and Waterpump are unique to the M100 engine.  Nevertheless, it is best to confirm this via the part numbers.

Regards,

AM
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

Jed

You are correct.  The starter is not the same as the 450SE, or SEL for that matter.

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

TJ 450

It's similar to the 6.3 M100 but thats it as far as I know.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

There are rebuilt ones on eBay last time I checked.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 30 July 2019, 07:43 AM
There are rebuilt ones on eBay last time I checked.
There are indeed.  Quite confusing though.  One style has 4 bolt holes and is listed for the M100 engines.  2 are offered, one for $400 the other for $2200.  ????!!?!!!  The other style has 2 bolt holes and is claimed to fit various MB engines including 6.9.  These are, of course, much cheaper. 

I was hoping to save some time by ordering one so I can do the job in 1 shot but now I have little confidence that it will be right one.  Looks like I will indeed have to go by part number - though that's always the best thing anyway.
-Dave

rumb

One could take it to an electric motor repair shop and have rebuilt. I see the bendix. On fleabay from time to time.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

The 400 buck seller looks like a solid outfit. I'd give them a go.
Daniel

raueda1

Got starter out.  It was fried, fried, fried.  Motor itself (without solenoid) drew current but didn't spin.  I needed to turn the shaft by hand for it to run.  It them slowly spooled up in speed.  No obvious collateral damage, like broken ring gear teeth.

I ended up ordering the $400 unit.  Part number actually matches mine, a pleasant surprise.  I may try get my old one rebuilt and put that up for sale.

Finally, it's worth noting that removal was actually quite easy despite some of the horrendous procedures lurking around the web.  The hard part is the upper bolt, which is very tight.  It's too tight for a socket.  An open end wrench works but you can only rotate about 12 degrees at a time before repositioning, so it's very tedious.  I ended up with a crow-foot head on a ratchet.  There's space for the crow foot head to rotate about 270deg before having to reposition it, much better than the open end wrench!  After removing the 2 bolts it was easy to slide/rotate the starter into a position where the cables could be removed.  With the steering wheel turned hard right there's enough space to slide the starter through all the steering linkages.  It wasn't necessary to remove the steering damper as some have suggested, at least not on my car.  This was done up on a lift with wheels hanging.  On jack stands or wheels not hanging I can see how it would be very much harder.
-Dave

Mattr

Quote from: raueda1 on 30 July 2019, 06:48 PM
Got starter out.  It was fried, fried, fried.  Motor itself (without solenoid) drew current but didn't spin.  I needed to turn the shaft by hand for it to run.  It them slowly spooled up in speed.  No obvious collateral damage, like broken ring gear teeth.

I ended up ordering the $400 unit.  Part number actually matches mine, a pleasant surprise.  I may try get my old one rebuilt and put that up for sale.

Finally, it's worth noting that removal was actually quite easy despite some of the horrendous procedures lurking around the web.  The hard part is the upper bolt, which is very tight.  It's too tight for a socket.  An open end wrench works but you can only rotate about 12 degrees at a time before repositioning, so it's very tedious.  I ended up with a crow-foot head on a ratchet.  There's space for the crow foot head to rotate about 270deg before having to reposition it, much better than the open end wrench!  After removing the 2 bolts it was easy to slide/rotate the starter into a position where the cables could be removed.  With the steering wheel turned hard right there's enough space to slide the starter through all the steering linkages.  It wasn't necessary to remove the steering damper as some have suggested, at least not on my car.  This was done up on a lift with wheels hanging.  On jack stands or wheels not hanging I can see how it would be very much harder.

Where is the starter on this car? I dug through the Microfilm, but kept getting frustrated with it, and couldn't find the info. I'm suspecting from your commentary (and my visual inspections thus far) that it's somewhere on the bottom of the engine?
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

raueda1

Quote from: Mattr on 05 August 2019, 11:41 AM

Where is the starter on this car? I dug through the Microfilm, but kept getting frustrated with it, and couldn't find the info. I'm suspecting from your commentary (and my visual inspections thus far) that it's somewhere on the bottom of the engine?
It's on the lower side of the block on the passenger side, at least on LHD.  It's quite hard to see from the top, you need to get underneath.  It might be on opposite side on RHD cars.
-Dave

Mattr

Quote from: raueda1 on 05 August 2019, 12:02 PM
Quote from: Mattr on 05 August 2019, 11:41 AM

It's on the lower side of the block on the passenger side, at least on LHD.  It's quite hard to see from the top, you need to get underneath.  It might be on opposite side on RHD cars.
Ugh, fun. I'll add that to the list of things I need to do this winter.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Mattr

Yes, I know, I'm bringing back an old thread, but since I'm finally getting around to doing this myself, I thought it wiser to update this thread, and keep the pertinent info here, rather than start another thread and reference this one.

Quote from: raueda1 on 30 July 2019, 06:48 PMThe hard part is the upper bolt, which is very tight.  It's too tight for a socket.  An open end wrench works but you can only rotate about 12 degrees at a time before repositioning, so it's very tedious.  I ended up with a crow-foot head on a ratchet.  There's space for the crow foot head to rotate about 270deg before having to reposition it, much better than the open end wrench!
This worked for me, as far as getting the bolt out. The upper bolt, btw, is 19mm (at least, mine was). I bought a set of cheap crow's feet, and it was a nightmare getting it to both sit on and stay on the bolt. However, after about two turns it was loose enough I could undo the bolt by hand.

This brings up a question from me: How do I get the starter off? Both bolts are out, but the start is still solidly seated. Partially, I suspect, because of the post, and partially because of the ridiculously tight clearance. I tried tapping both a plastic body shim, and a screw driver (gently) into the gap between the starter and the engine, but to no avail. There isn't enough clearance to get a rubber hammer and tap on it, as friends have suggested I do.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

raueda1

Sounds to me like it's fused in place by grime, hardened grease, etc.  It shouldn't be overly tight.  If it's clean it will just fall off the flange.  Maybe take a rubber mallet to whack a wooden rod on the end of it?
-Dave

daantjie

Following this one with more interest now that I see it in my future as well... :o

Matt have you wrestled this beast to the ground yet?
Daniel