News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

6.9 now runs, but...

Started by TJ 450, 16 November 2008, 02:56 AM

TJ 450

This afternoon, I managed to fully remove the intake manifold from the 6.9. On the LH bank, where the two coolant leaks were, I have noted that the gasket has been compressed at the top, but the lower area remains only slightly compressed. Problem areas have been marked in the images.
See below:

The overall situation:

The other issue is the EGR pipe. It is a constant PITA and I still have not worked out how to remove/install the manifold without interferance. Surely there is a way around this? So far I have only been able to get it to clear by chance.

...Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

koan

I Think I still have my old gaskets, will dig then out and take a look, see if I can detect any uneven compression.

Is the difference in thickness the full length or only around the water passages?

My manifolds and heads showed a similar discolouration around the water passages.

Can you detect any unevenness in the manifold or heads with a straight edge>

What about two gaskets "Hylomard" together?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

koan

Found the old gaskets.

Both are consistent in thickness across and length ways.

If there is a difference it's the LH one but less than 0.1 mm.

They have been off the engine for several months so they may have "sprung" back, losing any variation in thickness.

koan

TJ 450

I'll check with a straight edge tonight. It is the left-hand side that's the problem. My LH cylinder head has been removed at some point as is evident by the fact that the spacer tube is missing and there are some odd bolts installed, plus some of the socket heads are slightly damaged. I wonder if this would have anything to do with it?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

I have a radiator pressure tester if you need to go leak tracing with the system under pressure.

Best of luck and hope it;s asimple fix.

Bill

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 24 November 2008, 10:41 PM

My LH cylinder head has been removed at some point as is evident by the fact that the spacer tube is missing and there are some odd bolts installed, plus some of the socket heads are slightly damaged. I wonder if this would have anything to do with it?

It might, damaged, mismatched bolts and the missing spacer suggests some work as been done with little attention to detail. A poor head machining job could have been performed, you'll never know, best not to dwell on that possibility but focus on a fix.

Maybe the manifold casting is distorted. Can you get it checked, see if the mating surfaces are flat and 90 degrees to each other?

What about sitting the manifold in the vee and trying to get feeler gauges in to check the fit?  Try to determine if there's any distortion before the bolts are torqued down.

I'd be looking at thicker gaskets, much easier than machining.

koan

TJ 450

Quote from: koan on 25 November 2008, 04:46 PM
What about sitting the manifold in the vee and trying to get feeler gauges in to check the fit?  Try to determine if there's any distortion before the bolts are torqued down.

I'd be looking at thicker gaskets, much easier than machining.

koan

I'll try that and I'll remove the EGR pipe as well.

BTW Koan, were you able to remove your manifold without interference?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 25 November 2008, 10:41 PM

BTW Koan, were you able to remove your manifold without interference?

No, wouldn't lift out, tried prising the EGR pipe towards the center through the holes in the manifold, didn't work. Eemoved the throttle body to get access to the large nut that clamps the pipe to the nipple on the manifold, undid that so the pipe could flop around and the manifold lifted straight out.

koan

TJ 450

The manifold fits perfectly without the EGR pipe attached, it just drops straight in as well.

A member of the M100 group advised that the only was to install it properly is to loosen the EGR pipe at both points. However, I can't see how one would tighten up the cone fitting nut in-situ, or even the clamp on the throttle housing boot for that matter.

One thing I did forget about was that I used some dabs of Blue Hylomar to hold the gaskets in place. I think it may have interfered with the gasket's sealing properties in those areas and combined with a lack of torque on some bolts, caused the leak.

Tim

PS, Bill, that pressure tester would be of great assistance once I have got everything back together, thanks.
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 27 November 2008, 06:01 AM

A member of the M100 group advised that the only was to install it properly is to loosen the EGR pipe at both points. However, I can't see how one would tighten up the cone fitting nut in-situ, or even the clamp on the throttle housing boot for that matter.

That's what I have to do, remove the throttle body and tighten the large nut with the pipe connected at the other joints. Maybe my pipe doesn't have the correct/same bends as yours.

Can't see the difficulty with the clamp on the throttle housing boot - unless it's a standard  hose clamp and not the correct one. There is only one clamp.

koan

koan

One thing I did forget about was that I used some dabs of Blue Hylomar to hold the gaskets in place.

Bit late with this but there shouldn't be any need to do this, each head has a pair of roll pins that support and locate the gasket.

Was the Hylomar a bit of extra insurance?

koan

TJ 450

Quote from: koan on 27 November 2008, 11:57 PM

One thing I did forget about was that I used some dabs of Blue Hylomar to hold the gaskets in place.

Bit late with this but there shouldn't be any need to do this, each head has a pair of roll pins that support and locate the gasket.

Was the Hylomar a bit of extra insurance?

koan

Yes, it was. The roll pins weren't sufficient with the EGR pipe difficulty.
Anyway, I know what not to do next time.
Regarding that boot, it's the lower clamp onto the throttle body that's the issue. AFAIK, it's conventional on all the cars, IE the screw is horizontal. I think I'll have to use a right angle screwdriver.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pez

That hose clamp is a left hand thread. I know because I just had my intake system apart a couple weeks ago.  It only takes about a turn or so to go from totally tight to totally loose....when you pull you intake, you will what a neat design that band is....

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 28 November 2008, 04:28 AM

Regarding that boot, it's the lower clamp onto the throttle body that's the issue. AFAIK, it's conventional on all the cars, IE the screw is horizontal. I think I'll have to use a right angle screwdriver.

I can't remember a clamp round the bottom of the boot, I'll go and have a look later.

EDIT: LATER

Yes there is a clamp round the bottom (knew that all the time ;) )

The boot and throttle body are in one piece in the boot, didn't separate them. Throttle body with boot attached can be removed/replaced as one bit.

koan