News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 leaking Power Steering Pump

Started by TJ 450, 17 April 2008, 03:33 AM

koan

Regarding removing the ring on the back of the pump I initially tried what WGB suggests then noticed the hole. Look at figure 4 in nathan's latest scan, tool 064 is being pushed into the hole to lift the ring end, hopefully the ring gap is positioned to let this work.

As you can see in the scans there is an O-Ring sealing the relief valve, my pump was leaking there as well.

nathan's first scan, on the pump production change, this contradicts the manual on pressure figures, see Steering group 46 Job 710. My pump is the Vickers VT49 90 bar version.

It looks like the shaft runs in a plain bearing which complicates fixing the play. Wear in the bearing is probably a result of belts being too tight.

EDIT :  I see you found the hole.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Isn't a little bit of knowledge really helpful.

Bill

Big_Richard

by the way, repair kits are available for both version pumps, which include the shaft, and bearing etc, basicly the whole guts. If your interested, youll have to tell me your VIN to get the correct part number.

TJ 450

Well, after a week of working on the 6.9, I have finally got it back together (with the exception of the sunroof motor/gearbox assay.).
The P/S pump is now back on the car with a new (generic) Oaring installed at the circular cap in the rear of the unit, as I determined that to be the only source of the leak. Play in the bearing turned out to actually be quite minimal, so I left it as it was and degreased the whole thing. If it does happen to leak again, I will be able to see the source, then I can order the necessary parts from the Classic Centre.

Tim

PS. PB, I just saw your post. I will send you a PM shortly.
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500