News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 engine mountings apparently back in production

Started by daantjie, 28 March 2020, 04:36 PM

revilla

Quote from: BCDC on 30 April 2020, 04:39 PM
I changed the mounts on my 280SE a couple of days ago, obviously they are not the same as the 6.9 ones but are the same brand without any paint as you can see from the picture. The metal part looked to be alloy to me so why they would paint them is more of a mystery. Just look at the difference in hight, totally collapsed as you would expect on a 42 year old vehicle. If you haven't done them do it.

BCDC

Excellent!
Can you detail the procedure please?
Any special tools required?
Mounts part number?
Thx

BCDC

I found the mounts after an internet search, I' sure you can get them in France as well. There are so many 280's out there that after market manufactures cover this item pretty well. The procedure was to hoist the car then undo the main large Allen bolts from under the car, then jack the engine up a bit using some wood to spread the load on the sump. Undo the top allen screws, which was a bit tricky on the exhaust side, we had to cut a 6mm allen wrench and use a ratchet spanner to undo the engine side one with a bit of swearing in a particularly Australian fashion that I can't repeat on this forum but I'm sure you can maybe imagine. Anyway we got it out then fitted the new ones, located the top screws and just slightly started the bottom one for location only then tightened the top allen screws. We then lowered the engine from the jack so that the full weight of the engine was on the body of the car and put the large bottom bots back in and tightened. All done. It is harder to put new engine mounts without removing the whole engine but is definitely worth the effort. Goos luck.

BCDC 
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

Randys01

I am  reliably informed that doing the engine mounts on RHD at least 6.9 is a rotten job.....I had mine done by a full blown workshop and the snr mech is still on a rehab program. I would be really interested to learn of any body else's experiences.

revilla

Quote from: BCDC on 30 April 2020, 07:15 PM
I found the mounts after an internet search, I' sure you can get them in France as well. There are so many 280's out there that after market manufactures cover this item pretty well. The procedure was to hoist the car then undo the main large Allen bolts from under the car, then jack the engine up a bit using some wood to spread the load on the sump. Undo the top allen screws, which was a bit tricky on the exhaust side, we had to cut a 6mm allen wrench and use a ratchet spanner to undo the engine side one with a bit of swearing in a particularly Australian fashion that I can't repeat on this forum but I'm sure you can maybe imagine. Anyway we got it out then fitted the new ones, located the top screws and just slightly started the bottom one for location only then tightened the top allen screws. We then lowered the engine from the jack so that the full weight of the engine was on the body of the car and put the large bottom bots back in and tightened. All done. It is harder to put new engine mounts without removing the whole engine but is definitely worth the effort. Goos luck.

BCDC

Thanks I appreciate it.  I will try to locate the parts on this side of the world.

revilla

Can you please confirm these are the correct PNs?

123 241 52 13
123 241 12 13

BCDC

1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

PosedgeClk

This is kind of OT for this thread. It might be a good idea to fork because there will probably be some continued 6.9 discussion especially once the mounts are on.
1979 450SEL 6.9

raueda1

To add a little more info to this topic.....

As noted earlier, I had a set of 450SEL mounts and later ordered proper 6.9 mounts.  So guess what?  The 450SEl mounts got installed by accident.  I caught it and swapped them today.  A few observations:   It is very clear that the 6.9 mounts are much harder rubber.  When raising the engine I noticed that the 450sel mounts were extremely compressed.  The 6.9 mounts, hardly at all.  The 450sel mounts could actually be squeezed pretty easily by hand.  I expected harder rubber for the 6.9 but the difference was really quite dramatic. Changing the mounts with the engine in was a real bear.  Ugghh.  But I'll sleep better knowing that they're right.

Somewhat related, I also discovered that the engine shock struts are now larger than some earlier version already on the car.  The washers needed to be drilled out a tiny bit to fit.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

jllgd

I am confused.
So what are the correct Mercedes part numbers for the Mercedes 6.9 engine mounts?
Are these rubber mounts now easily available from the Classic Centre?
Thanks

daantjie

Well, these 6.9 mounts have since almost doubled in price >:(  Checked with the Classic Centre, now almost 200 bucks a pop,  man this hobby is starting to get unpleasant...Part# 123 241 14 13 if anyone wants to bend over :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 30 March 2021, 10:39 AM
Well, these 6.9 mounts have since almost doubled in price >:(  Checked with the Classic Centre, now almost 200 bucks a pop,  man this hobby is starting to get unpleasant...Part# 123 241 14 13 if anyone wants to bend over :o

Doubled is not so bad ;)
The W124 estate/wagon rear tailgate seal has seen a heart-stopping 480% price hike in 12 months, and currently sells for 655EUR (780USD).
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE