News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

6.9 engine mountings apparently back in production

Started by daantjie, 28 March 2020, 04:36 PM

revilla

Exactly.
The universal principle of pricing by law of supply and demand. Never fails... never
This is how a true open market regulates itself. It's been doing so for millennia, and it will continue to apply for many moons to come.

UTn_boy

Supply and demand is BS.  It's a get rich quick scheme thought up by a greedy SOB to take advantage of people when a supply of something is low and when demand is high.  I'm not against anyone making a buck, but there are ethical lines NOT to be crossed.  Then again, greedy people are sociopaths with not one strand of empathy or compassion towards man kind. However, there is something that these people don't realize.......Conventions of this asinine supply and demand are often trumped by one thing......the majority. 

Consider the following:  1) If there were only 100 6.9 owners in the world after a set of motor mounts
                                   2)only one set of 6.9 motor mounts for sale world wide
                                   3)the person selling them is asking $1,000 for the set
                                   4) Everyone knows they're not worth anywhere near $1,000

Here is what usually happens.  Only 10% of people will pay that price because they can afford to.  The remaining 90% will not buy them at that price.  If the  10% aren't in the market, but the 90% is, then the seller has no choice but to sell the mounts at a price the majority is willing to pay if he/she wants to sell them.  Granted, the seller may hold out and not lower the price for a long period of time, but eventually, the majority will take control simply because they're the ones willing to buy the part, but only at the price they themselves are willing to offer. 

If the 10% does buy the mounts for the $1,000 price tag, that would obviously end the supply, but the minds of the 90% remain unchanged, and the 90% would still hold control over the market if/when the mounts ever became available again or up for sale again. 

The aforementioned is how the majority can trump the supply and demand conventions, and is a hypothetical scenario,but hopefully the point is well taken. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

PosedgeClk

That is a simplistic model though. If the only option for motor mounts really were $1000, I would jump on the opportunity and make a run of billet/polyurethane mounts. If there were a larger market, I would buy the machinery to do rubber.
1979 450SEL 6.9

revilla

Quote from: UTn_boy on 08 April 2020, 02:29 PM
Supply and demand is BS.  It's a get rich quick scheme thought up by a greedy SOB to take advantage of people when a supply of something is low and when demand is high.  I'm not against anyone making a buck, but there are ethical lines NOT to be crossed.  Then again, greedy people are sociopaths with not one strand of empathy or compassion towards man kind. However, there is something that these people don't realize.......Conventions of this asinine supply and demand are often trumped by one thing......the majority. 

Consider the following:  1) If there were only 100 6.9 owners in the world after a set of motor mounts
                                   2)only one set of 6.9 motor mounts for sale world wide
                                   3)the person selling them is asking $1,000 for the set
                                   4) Everyone knows they're not worth anywhere near $1,000

Here is what usually happens.  Only 10% of people will pay that price because they can afford to.  The remaining 90% will not buy them at that price.  If the  10% aren't in the market, but the 90% is, then the seller has no choice but to sell the mounts at a price the majority is willing to pay if he/she wants to sell them.  Granted, the seller may hold out and not lower the price for a long period of time, but eventually, the majority will take control simply because they're the ones willing to buy the part, but only at the price they themselves are willing to offer. 

If the 10% does buy the mounts for the $1,000 price tag, that would obviously end the supply, but the minds of the 90% remain unchanged, and the 90% would still hold control over the market if/when the mounts ever became available again or up for sale again. 

The aforementioned is how the majority can trump the supply and demand conventions, and is a hypothetical scenario,but hopefully the point is well taken.

Hi Aaron,

I don't agree with speculative pricing, like the person trying to sell those parts at $1000+.

Supply and demand works beautifully as the market won't be willing/capable of paying his price. Thus either he decreases the price, or he might as well "eat" his parts in inventory depreciating and increasing his storage cost which at some point may force him considering lowering the price, maybe. As mentioned, if the demand is enough, another supplier will jump into the game and make them at an affordable cost (because the technology to do so is no secret and readily available).
So the philosophy is to not to pay those speculators considering these parts are not essential to run our machines. If we were talking about a part without which the car is useless, that's another story, but then again another supplier will always come to our rescue and offer those same pieces at a lower price. That's how free market works, it has always work and it will continue to work like that, fortunately or unfortunately.

Cheers

PosedgeClk

So back on topic here; has anyone tried ordering these mounts yet? I would like to order a few, but I do not have the slightest idea whether they are taking orders presently.
1979 450SEL 6.9

PosedgeClk

Quote123 241 14 13 $154.00 EACH SALE PRICE $123.20 EACH WE SOLD THE 6 WE HAVE 10 MORE COMING IN FROM GERMANY THIS WEEK

I ordered a pair. I would like to have ordered a spare pair on top of that but am being careful about spending because of the "W" or "WW" shaped recovery.
1979 450SEL 6.9

raueda1

I also ordered a pair.  Now I have 2 useless 450sel mounts, new in the box.  Anybody interested?
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

PosedgeClk

Two mounts arrived today. They have a GMT rubber company logo and number 66012603 embossed. The date code looks like 11/19 or 12/19. There are two dots punched quite adjacently to each other on both mounts. They smell like a shoe store and have all the spray painted black junk that flakes off like Meyle (IIRC) mounts which I purchased recently. They have a red paint marker dot to the right of the numbering as well.
1979 450SEL 6.9

daantjie

Hmm that sounds disappointing to be honest.  Can you post some pics?  I know exactly what you mean by that flaky black crap they coat the cheap rubber parts in, Febi also famous for that, not at all what I would have expected from Genuine MB Rubber.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

PosedgeClk

Sure, I'll take some pictures. Also, I was charged $104 USD apiece plus $10 shipping, so they charged the the amount in nathan's email screen shot rather than the $123.20 that they quoted me.
1979 450SEL 6.9

PosedgeClk

After I made that post, I knocked over the empty bag, and it made a huge mess on the carpet. The flakes in this photo came from just positioning the mounts a few times!

Reminds me of some lyrics which I once heard.

German building, British made... why aye, man...

1979 450SEL 6.9

raueda1

i got them too and also had the flakes come off.  My guess (and it's a very educated guess in this case) is that they spray the whole thing after it comes out of the mold to protect the metal.  There's certainly some mold release that stays with them on the rubber.  Hence paint doesn't adhere to the rubber.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

PosedgeClk

The paint itself is too brittle to flex with the rubber anyway. There is probably a final step that they could apply to the process like tumbling in plastic media for a few minutes to knock the vast majority of the junk off.

Too bad that I don't have a durometer lying around. Now would be a great time to compare a few points between the 6.9 and 300SD mounts.
1979 450SEL 6.9

TJ 450

The mounts always have that black paint on them, it cracks off as soon as the rubber starts flexing. It's the same with trans mounts as well. I often thought it was either to preserve the rubber in storage or just manufacturing process.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

BCDC

I changed the mounts on my 280SE a couple of days ago, obviously they are not the same as the 6.9 ones but are the same brand without any paint as you can see from the picture. The metal part looked to be alloy to me so why they would paint them is more of a mystery. Just look at the difference in hight, totally collapsed as you would expect on a 42 year old vehicle. If you haven't done them do it.

BCDC 
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS