News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

6.9 engine mounting replacement

Started by daantjie, 27 March 2018, 10:35 AM

daantjie

Hi guys

Starting to line up parts (and courage) for this "fun" job...I have taken a gander at the 6.9 engine mount locations and hell they are buried as usual :o  Read a few posts which helps, but maybe a more recent "victim" can chime in with any sage advice?

Appears you have to lift the motor quite high to get any kind of hope to remove the 2 bolts holding the mounts to the frame.  The outside bolt seems to have fairly good access but the one closest to the motor seems like it will have colourful language involved ::)

Also, EPC seems to show heat shields (of course gone on mine), but I am not sure if it only shows driver side as needing a shield due to more exposure from the exhaust?  Passenger side seems to be shielded  a bit by the AC compressor so maybe it is only on the driver side?

Also will change out the engine shocks at the same time, at least they seem to be a breeze compared to the mounts?

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

You have to raise the engine more to get the mini shocks out than to do the mounts. Also the locking nuts on the shock can be frustrating to get off.

I think I have one spare heat sheild if interested and some of the rubber shock mounts.

I don't recall difficulty with access to bolts. I think I ended up using w126 motor mounts as w116 were nla.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Thanks Robert, I'll PM you for the spare shield.  I ordered new shocks already, just got the Febi ones, the Benz ones are ridiculously expensive for a service item IMHO, not sure they are even still available, I think Stabilus is OEM.
Cheers
Daniel
Daniel

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 27 March 2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks Robert, I'll PM you for the spare shield.  I ordered new shocks already, just got the Febi ones, the Benz ones are ridiculously expensive for a service item IMHO, not sure they are even still available, I think Stabilus is OEM.
Cheers
Daniel

Both the FEBI and OEM part are identical as both are made by Stabilus. They only differ in finish, with OEM being black, FEBI silver. Stabilus also sell those under their own name and it's a standard offer part in their catalogue.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Quote from: ptashek on 27 March 2018, 02:39 PM
Cheers
Daniel

Both the FEBI and OEM part are identical as both are made by Stabilus. They only differ in finish, with OEM being black, FEBI silver. Stabilus also sell those under their own name and it's a standard offer part in their catalogue.

Good to know cheers.
Daniel

TJ 450

The proper MB mounts for the 6.9 are a much harder compound the the others, but no doubt the softer ones will work for a while.

Both sides are supposed to have heat shields, but you should be able to use these from any MB with this type of mount.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

Thanks Tim great tips all round!
Daniel

s class

If I had to use another mount, I would probably choose ones used by a diesel motor, as they would likely be stiffer than the  ones used on aluminium V8 126's. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

daantjie

Quote from: ptashek on 27 March 2018, 02:39 PM
Cheers
Daniel

Interesting I ordered 2 FEBI units, and both arrived in the red FEBI Boxes, but the one was a black FEBI unit, and the other was a silver Stabilus one.  Man, ordering new parts is turning out to be a crap shoot :o
Daniel