News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 custom radiator

Started by Big_Richard, 01 June 2008, 10:32 PM

koan

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 08 June 2008, 06:23 AM

the number 1 on the distributor cap is at the rear side above that notch.  :-\

Oh, not good then.

the actual harmonic balancer disk is bolted to the rear side of the flange that is pressed onto the crank shaft and tightened down with the single nut. I have a feeling this is where the issue is - and naturally, requires the removal of the front hub yet again to fix.  :'(

You're right on that, I just had a look at a cross section of the hub/balancer and it's as you describe it.

That must be the problem, can't think of anything else.

I had the hub off to do the front seal but I can't recall if I separated things to paint them, if I did I must have marked them first.

Not hard to fix but a pain to have to do something unexpected when you're so close to going.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

WGB

Pages 65 to 69 of the 6.9 engine manual - mechanical section - give the correct fitting instructions for the hub, balancer and pulley .

I would check  that the rubber centre hasn't broken down in the harmonic balancer but it sounds more likely that something has been put on 180 degrees out of sync.

It would be much simpler to take out the distributer as you have probably already done and put it  back in.

Just make sure that you are really at TDC No1 cylinder on the compression stroke and not checking it on the back of the cam as the crankshaft pulley has to travel twice for each firing stroke of no 1 cylinder and some motors will run with the ignition firing out of phase (some old motors will also run backwards.)

Bill

WGB

On further reflection - if you really want to be sure of the timing take off the RH cam-cover (Not hard to do) line up the Crankshaft TDC mark with the RH Camshaft TDC mark and check that the distributer rotor is in the same position as the photo above. If it is make sure No 1 lead is in the cap directly above it and then check the order  going around in a clockwise direction with the correct order as cast on the RH camcover.

If that is a problem then remove the plugs (or at least no 1 plug) and turn over the motor clockwise until you can feel compression with your thumb in the plug-hole. This will at least show that you will be on the correct TDC cycle of the crankshaft.

If you are stuck I am quite happy to turn up next Sunday and give some assistance/support/comic relief and bring whatever tools are required.

Bill

Big_Richard

koan

Hang on, if the harmonic balancer is on 180 degrees out, the distributor would be 1/2 that, 90 degrees out because it runs at 1/2 crank speed, where did the other 90 degrees come from?

I think WGB's approach in his last post is the way to go.

On the consumption of  hub pullers I managed it with one, a $10 Repco import but it looked a bit sad afterwards.

My discovery was not to just screw in the three bolts and then heave away but to try to get the threaded rod as square on as possible.  Screw up the rod to get plenty on force on the pulley and then experiment with the three bolts, give each a bit of a turn to try to find the spot where the pulley moves a little. I think it has to dead square or a lot of the force is wasted pulling sideways creating friction.

koan

Big_Richard

koan

So the harmonic balancer is OK ... ?

koan

Big_Richard

koan

Big_Richard

WGB

I've done it a couple of times before which is why I remembered the possibilty.

Alls well that ends well.

Bill

13B

LOL - that was the same thing which stopped my 450SE engine running...

Link

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

koan

Quote from: WGB on 08 June 2008, 07:07 PM

I was going to say anyone who has a few engines apart will get it wrong once and that should be the one and only time... but maybe I'll keep quiet :)

It's easy to lose track of which stroke #1 is on, give the engine a few turns and set it back at TDC but was it 3 or 4 times round...

EDIT: The Hot Rod show on one of the cable channels, Boyd Coddington, whenever his guys put an engine in and try to fire it up it's a mass of backfires and flames out the carbs, then they call the expert in

koan

WGB

Quote from: koan on 09 June 2008, 12:15 AM
Quote from: WGB on 08 June 2008, 07:07 PM

I was going to say anyone who has a few engines apart will get it wrong once and that should be the one and only time... but maybe I'll keep quiet :)

Your standards are pretty high Koan - I'm pleased I'm self employed. ;D

Bill