News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

6.9 cooling system upgrade

Started by Big_Richard, 24 February 2008, 03:12 AM

Big_Richard

I came to the conclusion of "What the hell" and just did this, sure, there could of been easier ways to make my cooling system satisfactory. But why not go fully custom, its no thing of beauty but hey, aluminium of the same size is 30% more efficient at conducting heat than copper & its lighter. Mine is now larger than standard.

This all aluminium radiator is made exactly to my requirements, of using, all original 6.9 hoses, (except the transmission, as the cooler in this is even better than standard) The fan is thermostatically controlled and will only turn on above 90C, it pushes a hell of a lot of air, equivalent if not superior to the crappy old clutch fan setup & its quieter. The shroud and fan motor assembly are bolted on and fully serviceable so that cleaning can be done easily.  Its precise even down to the duplicated in aluminium side rails, which take OEM MB radiator rubber sliders and installs in exactly the same manner.

The pump was purchased from Wilmington Delaware, yes, the guy who sells them on EBay. It is truly amazing and looks better than if it was literally just unpacked from an MB box.  :o

IS any of it installed? NO, I'm still waiting after a month for all the bolts, screws and gaskets to come from germany. I decided to do the job properly which requires the removal of the aluminium water housing under the pump and replace all its gaskets and bolts. To take this out, its necessary to remove the distributor and its bearing, naturally, i have ordered all the bolts, seals and gaskets for this, and am waiting for them too. I also decided to replace the vacuum advance box on the side of the distributor as its not shiny enough for me as well as the clear plastic shield inside the distributor, the magnetic pickup coil & the green coaxial lead that goes to the transistorised coil switching box. Naturally all this is also on backorder.  ::)

Excuse the retro carpet - It's NOT my choice!
;)
http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/Perth_Dave/

Andrew280SEL

Welcome back PB, and might I say what lovely looking items you have there. :)

No doubt we can expect pics and details of your installing adventure  ;)

Good luck with it, I look forward to hearing how much better it is than standard  8)

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

Looks very exotic - I will be interested to see if it performs as well as it looks

I have never had anything to do with the Aus/US radiator and cooler system only Euros with the separate radiator and oil cooler.

Why did they do it differently and what are the pros and cons of each system?

Bill

AMG69

Wow! Very impressive indeed! How much was the w/pump?
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

TJ 450

Hi PB,

Dude, that's some serious apparatus you've got there  :o
That water pump is simply beautiful!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Hello PB, starting to wonder where you were.

That's a mean looking bit of kit that radiator, function over form, that's what I like.

Did you consider going the whole hog and fitting an electric water pump?

I assume that's the late version water pump, I'm sure mine is more round even though it should have the later version pump according to the engine number.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

john erbe

Was thinking about same job, you may have saved some investigating. Looks great.

Mforcer

No thing of beauty? That looks amazing. The quality of it will fit right in to any engine bay.

I would be interested in knowing the weight difference between the old and the new. Could be just the thing our friends preparing a track car.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

:D  I didn't even notice the carpet. 

That looks awsome PB.  So a lighter rad plus no engine operated clutch fan - a couple more horses unleashed surely.
1973 350SE, my first & fave