News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

--==5 Speed Manual Gearbox & Extractors==--

Started by SELfor50, 27 November 2007, 05:29 AM

SELfor50

Ok......

So i'll get straight to the point.  I've stumbled across a gold mine.

What appears to be a Mercedes 5 Speed Manual gearbox, that is currently attached to an M117 engine that has Extractors.   

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pics:

The same source also has a 350SE 4-speed box that i'll also be purchasing.

Maybe someone can advise their thoughts on where the f*k this 5 speed has come from?!?!
It definately looks like a Merc housing.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

torana68

Cam , that wont fit your car, if you drop it off here Ill swp you a slab of your fav for it.....
Roger
(It looks MB and Im pretty sure a 5 speed may have been available but extremly rare, I believe there are NO spare parts available for that box, meaning the special to a 5 speed stuff)

Andrew280SEL

Is it possible it's a strengthened (it might not be..it is an MB part after all) 280 5 speed that's been somehow mated to the M117?

Good find though! Should be fun if all goes well! ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

Quote from: 116Benz on 27 November 2007, 05:43 AM
is it black?

Don't know mate - i know the engine & box is currently sitting in a 108 though...  Don't know what colour it was.

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 27 November 2007, 05:47 AM
Is it possible it's a strengthened (it might not be..it is an MB part after all) 280 5 speed that's been somehow mated to the M117?

Good find though! Should be fun if all goes well! ;D

I was thinking it could be the 280 box adapted, but yeah - just don't know.

And yes, if it goes sweet - it will be VERY fun!  ;D

torana68

make sure you get all ancillary bits, clutch , flywheel, shifter, anything missing will be nearly imposable to replace. Black? are you meaning the box colour? the colour it is is MB ... don't tell me there are different gearbox colours for the 116???
Roger

SELfor50

Yep... The negotiated price has been for all ancillary pieces as well.   ;D

I'm guessing he means the colour of the car it came out of.

116Benz

Yes the colour of the car. is it a 116? the floor console doesnt look like it though

Martin 280s

A 5-speed was offered on the M110 engines, and from what I gather, the final ratios were the same in the 4 and 5-speed boxes.
I once saw a lovely burgundy 280se with the 5-speed and the owner told me the top speed was the same for the 4-speed.

116Benz

Serious? I would have thought there was a bit more in a 5 spd, the ratios would be wider...learn something new everyday

Andrew280SEL

Martin's correct.

I 'spose the 5 speed just gives a bit of extra peck off the line.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

116Benz

Ahhhh...ok. I thought that it mighta been Crayfords old manual 450.

Martin 280s

Quote from: 116Benz on 27 November 2007, 06:19 AM
Serious? I would have thought there was a bit more in a 5 spd, the ratios would be wider...learn something new everyday

The ratios are closer. I prefer longer gears myself!

116Benz

Depending on the car I agree, on the MX-5 theyre short, on the SL they were long, was good for highways