News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

--==5 Speed Manual Gearbox & Extractors==--

Started by SELfor50, 27 November 2007, 05:29 AM

vano-sha

only 4 speed transmission was! 5 speed gearbox from 123 280 - it will be damaged soon  :-[ was tested by me

13B

According to this page at least there is a 5-speed sold with certain W116s:

http://www.w116.org/library/116_025

And 5th is an overdrive (0.875:1) which with the right diff should produce a spectacular top speed.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

5 Speed box, with a 6.9 LSD (2:65) should produce a f*kn Ballistic top speed!

oscar

Cam, awsome!!! ;D  I missed this thread.  Is this from the same guy that had parts you posted about.  Gold mine is understatement.

re 5spd box, I can't add to the "what is it" and "how did they do it" but it seems the 5spd was definitely a w116 280 option and it appears in the early owner's manual.  Martin, you're right about the top spd in 5th.  Final drive ratios between the 4 and 5 box must be the same. Click for bigger pics

1973 350SE, my first & fave

vano-sha

to reach the top speed is only need to block centrifugal regulator on runnerя, 4 -speed drive is anouth for V8, in Moscow the best speed on my 350 was 210 km\h two years ago very late night

oscar

Quote from: vano-sha on 30 November 2007, 01:06 AM
to reach the top speed is only need to block centrifugal regulator on runnerя, 4 -speed drive is anouth for V8, in Moscow the best speed on my 350 was 210 km\h two years ago very late night

Hi vano-sha,

(centrifugal regulator on runnerя)  What is this? Do you mean the centrifugal advance on the distributor?? I don't understand.

How about your 350, is it a 4 speed manual?  You got it to 210km/h!!!  8) 8) 8) Nice work ;D 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

torana68

Ill take a stab and say he probably means the rev limiting rotor button.
Roger

vano-sha

yes with device, 350 with manual i know is only ONE! survived in moscow, almoust car have difficulties with documents or chasis? in winter in moscow some stupid guys decided to use salt on roads, that is why some cars you can broken  with hands great rust without metall

SELfor50

Quote from: torana68 on 30 November 2007, 04:07 AM
Ill take a stab and say he probably means the rev limiting rotor button.
Roger

The rev limiting rotor button has a spring thing in it right??
So without the spring thing, it won't limit the revs?

torana68

dont even think about it smokey! if you want to disconnect the factory "no blow up" device get an electronic one that is adjustable to limit revs......
Roger

torana68

[quote  in winter in moscow some stupid guys decided to use salt on roads, that is why some cars you can broken  with hands great rust without metall
[/quote]

winter in Moscow looks beautifull,  however, perhaps not to live there ... we never had salt here as far as I know, maybe in the mountains? is it easy to get parts for old cars there?
Roger
(Aust)

SELfor50

Quote from: torana68 on 30 November 2007, 10:35 PM
dont even think about it smokey! if you want to disconnect the factory "no blow up" device get an electronic one that is adjustable to limit revs......
Roger

"no blow up device"  hahaha...

I've got 3 rotor buttons (2 old, 1 brand new).  NONE of them have any spring thing on them!!!  They're all just solid piece with contacts.
I'm pretty sure there's no rev limiter...considering i've taken it to 6500RPM's no worries.  :o
IT LUuuuuurved it!    ::)

vano-sha

I have 2 or 3 cars for parts, original parts almost used, new from other suitable model of MB from 123 or 126, we have a good site olmerin.net, I sell used parts all over the russia