News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

450SEL 6.9 Suspension Parts

Started by TillyTrey, 26 December 2019, 01:11 PM

TillyTrey

Hello Everyone
I am new to the forum having just inherited a 6.9 which I want to get back on the road
My late uncle used to pick me up from boarding school in the 1980's in the car, driving 200 miles home in it; it is an integral part of my childhood
I would love nothing more than to now use it with my kids, as I have always dreamed of driving it, I think he knew that hence the inheritance

The suspension tank, switch, pump were removed in storage while my uncle wasill in hospital and I am left with 2 options according to a local mechanic

Option 1
Pay him to change the suspension to a spring suspension from a donor 450SEL  :(

Option 2
Source the parts and mechanic myself to put back to original  8)

I prefer to do option 2 back replace hydro pneumatic parts  as my uncle did not leave the car for me to ruin it ;(
Can anyone on here recommend a really good  person to source the parts from at a reasonable cost?
Even better is there a UK enthusiast who can help me repair on a descent budget?
Thanks in advance for helpful suggestions

Tilly xx

TillyTrey

Sorry I meant to say Option 2 which is put back to Hydro pneumatic suspension

ptashek

Getting a 6.9 hydro back to working condition on a reasonable budget will heavily depend on your definition of reasonable.

Best bet is to source parts from the likes of eBay and the Germany-only eBay Kleinanzeigen.

Garage wise, you could try with HA Lock in Rushden. They come highly recommended by many people in the MB Club UK, and have previously serviced my W124 for 12ish years under its previous owner. It's a fair bit from London, but your choices may be limited when it comes to the 6.9.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Welcome!
Do not under any circumstances change out to steel suspension.  It is after all what makes a 6.9 a 6.9 ;)
Proper diagnosis is key to the HPF system.   Multiple posts on here and and other forums but the Org is hands down the best place for support.
Yes ebay is a good source for NOS or used parts.
Also all parts can be rebuilt. Martin Werminghausen in the US is the best guy for the job.
At the very least you will have to flush the system  change filter and install 5x new accumulators.
Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

Martin rebuilt my rear struts that were oiling the rear tires.  I replaced all the reservoirs at the same time.  Front struts are weaping within specifications.  It was less than $4000, but I did all the work myself.

I would think you will have problems converting to 450 SEL spring suspension.  The 6.9 is heavier and has different weight distribution so you'll probably have to source different rate springs for ride height.  And shock valving will be off.  Although, the damping on the 6.9's isn't great.

john erbe

Converting to the 450 set-up would involve all kinds of modifications. However, switching to springs in the rear and coil overs in front is relatively easy and can be reversed to the hydro system as no modifications are done to chassis.

Punker

Hallo,

I also would recommend Option 2, as this is original 6.9. You can find these parts on Ebay . Here is a advertismnent on Ebay.Kleinanzeigen for a complet system:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mercedes-w116-450-6-9-hpf-hydropneumatisches-fahrwerk/1048853601-223-13734

May be there is a chance to get it. It is close to whre I live.

Greetings from Kiel.

Björn
1978 Mercedes 6.9 # 4616 - black/black leather
BMW R 25/3

daantjie

Not sure what happened to TillyTrey, maybe saw the prices of HPF parts and still recovering from the shock ::)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

adamb

Isn't this the same car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-450-SEL-6-9-W116-1980-REDUCED/274229102957?hash=item3fd954096d:g:ZQsAAOSwIHpd~kMG

It's always a little sad to see a 6.9 without bits that make it special. In addition to losing the fabulous self levelling suspension, we seem to have lost the ABS that's claimed in the description and the air con.

ptashek

That ad reads like a dreamers tale... Oh, well.
I'll ask around in the club if anyone knows this car.  MOT check doesn't recognise the reg, so probably on SORN for a long time?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

oversize

DIY will save heaps of coin!  Rebuild parts if necessary and if still serviceable. Buying replacement parts requires patience!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P