News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

450SE - What is 'high mileage'?

Started by graham, 23 August 2012, 06:54 PM

graham

The age of these cars now, if they've not had bushes and suchlike replaced, there's a good chance they'll need them. Almost irrespective of mileage... Although I know of a 1954 220S which is original and still running beautifully. It's not quite on it's original tyres (thank heavens! There is a limit to originality!) but the bushes are the ones fitted in the factory and are in excellent condition.

I've also found a nice 450SLC (with a sunroof  ;) )... I know - it's not a 116! But it is the same era. :)

Beastie

Quote from: graham on 24 August 2012, 05:15 PMI've also found a nice 450SLC (with a sunroof  ;) )... I know - it's not a 116! But it is the same era. :)
Ooooooooh, nice. 8) You don't see too many of those. I don't think they sold in very high numbers at all. A nice one would certainly be tempting.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

TJ 450

Yes, I tend to follow the "replace all while you're there" approach for suspension bushes, but can separate upper and lower control arms in the front end.

As s class explained, the M116/7 (all variants) is known for the chain slapping against brittle plastic guides, breaking them and subsequently bending the valves on the LH head. The other engines are much more durable in this regard, but of course the chains need to be replaced when they're worn out anyway.

IMO, the chain, guides, tensioner and possibly cam sprockets should be changed before 200k km or when the guides are going brown. If the chain shows significant stretch it's already too far gone.

Camshaft oiler pipe plastic fittings need to be checked without fail, otherwise oil starvation may result. These parts are only worth a few dollars, yet are so critical to the engine's operation.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

Quote from: Beastie on 24 August 2012, 11:13 PM
Quote from: graham on 24 August 2012, 05:15 PMI've also found a nice 450SLC (with a sunroof  ;) )... I know - it's not a 116! But it is the same era. :)
Ooooooooh, nice. 8) You don't see too many of those. I don't think they sold in very high numbers at all. A nice one would certainly be tempting.
It's hard to find a good SLC these days, but they are a very nice car IMO. A very expensive car in their day too.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

62,000+ SLC's produced, 1981 being the last year as the SEC became available. Not nearly as rare as 6.9's.

Wouldn't want that little room in a car myself, but I'll bet they're fun to drive!

graham

An SLC is surprisingly spacious. If you've tried a W124 coupe, you'll have an idea.

The one I have found is a '79, registration number 'SLC 79'. :)

graham

Finally got to see the 450 today... Not all it could be, and certainly not worth the asking price. The seller was adamant that it is a rare car, in "excellent condition for it's age" and that I'll not find a better one. I hate disappointing people so I said I'd think about it... I'd thought about it before I got back to my wife waiting by our car.

No.