News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

450 and 6.9 fuel pumps

Started by adamb, 19 May 2014, 08:19 AM

adamb

It's been a while since this topic has been live but given that I started it back in the day I think it's fair to post a follow-up.

I finally got round to changing the noisy fuel pump. It has worked flawlessly these years and as you can see I've really neglected changing it. Also the fuel filter has been there for a very very long time. In fact I've never changed it and I've owned this car since 2002. I decided to go with a Mercedes-Benz sourced fuel pump. I normally tend to go for aftermarket on such items but given that my fuel pump has lasted 43 years I feel it would be false economy to save a few quid by looking for a pump from another source. In the pic you will see the newly reconditioned assembly and the total bill for all parts from Mercedes-Benz. Hopefully this will come in useful to other forum members.

A few more points to note. The replacement fuel pump has a different size inlet to the original. That's because it is the latest type for all 032, 033 and 036 models. It's no longer possible to get the original style 1977 Bosch fuel pump from MB. The changed size necessitates a different fuel damper, which luckily I had from another W116 I had disassembled in the past at some point. The old one was steel and the new one appears to be aluminium. Also my car had a male metal connector coming down from the fuel tank. Rather than unscrew it I just used a hose similar to the previous one to connect the tank outlet to the damper. The part supplied from MB (also on the invoice below) screws into the fuel tank.

Here goes the next 43 year of motoring?  ;D

ptashek

The pump you get from MB is a re-packaged Bosch, and identical to the aftermarket Bosch pumps, sold directly, in every respect.
Both the pre- and post-1977 pumps are available as aftermarket, and a fair bit cheaper too :)

These same pumps were used by many other brands too.

pre-1977: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/1156270
post-1977: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/1156266
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE