News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

280S/SE engine overhaul

Started by s class, 18 August 2012, 02:56 PM

Tony66_au

Nice car, I always refer to the oil/water mix as Yoplait (A brand of yoghurt) and usually add the butchered advert slogo "Yoplait! its French for Blown head gasket"

Is there much in the way of pitting in the bore?

I had this issue with a Non mercedes engine that looked like it was going to go 60 thou over and ended up needing 90 thou which meant re sleeve time.

s class

#1 was rusted solid in the bore.  So yes, I think it way well be re-sleeve time. 

What concerns us slightly is that now with everything open, the head gasket does not appear to be blown, so that leaves only the possibility of a cracked head or cracked block. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Tony66_au

Bugger......

Porous heads? maybe a gallery leak?

jazzy tee

Thanks for the pics. Mine is leaking oil from the head gasket (exhaust manifold side). It is not mixing
or having any noticeable effect on the oil level. I'm wondering if it's really necessary to replace the gasket.

s class

Are you sure its leaking at the head gasket?  Its common for M110's to leak at the junction between the head and the cam box. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

The verdict is in from engineering - 2nd oversize is not enough on the bore, we are going to sleeve for standard.  The original pistons are all useable apart from #1 which is cracked.  The bottom end needs 1st undersize on both mains and big ends. 

Tony66_au

Ouch!

Then again it will run like a Swiss clock (or New Mercedes Engine) when completed.

Any chance of video when you start her up for the first time?

navigator

Brilliant interior - AND THAT DASH - must surely be the envy of everyone?

philpot

So are the manifolds port matched to the head from factory? If not are you gonna go to the trouble?

s class

I seriously doubt there is any port matching involved. 

jazzy tee

Yes it's leaking from the head gasket. I normally drive short distances - home to work and back (16km). I guess I should put it on the test on open road, perhaps 100km flat out so that I can see if the rate aggravates. The reason I'm so concerned is that I plan to travel at least 3000 miles some time in November. I need to know if that'll be possible without having any problems on the way?