Garage > Mechanicals

280SE woes

<< < (2/5) > >>

revilla:
You’re right Aaron. I missed that point. I’d look into the main filter and the quality of the fuel in the tank. Although it’s still an educated guess, but a guess from far after all.

BCK1963:
There is a german R107 forum which is currently hosted by a guy named Volker. His nick-name is DR. D-jet and he and a guy Christian, nick-named Obelix, is very knowledgable in that matter. He holds trainings and has written numerous technical reports on injection types and other technical topics. Most things are available in english.
Even though many of these guys tend to loose themselves in chats like how nice it was driving their R107 in nice weather last weekend, I can really recommend the technical support of Volker.

mrkozzy:
UTn_boy.  Further to your comment;

"On that note, renew your ballast resistors, ignition coil, and condenser out of principle.  They are not good for the life of the car, and can cause the issues you're experiencing."

I'm very interested in your knowledge about replacing these bits. Whilst my car runs very well, I still feel its only around 90%. I still have lots of cranks b4 it starts and the occasional hiccup at highway speeds.
Nothing I lose sleep over, but we like to strive for perfection, don't we?  ::)

My ballast resistors are original.  Have some used ones in a box I've scavenged off wrecks over the years. Should I use them or go for "new"
My ignition coil seems to be working fine. It was however changed some 25 years ago.  Replace with new?
Which condenser are you referring to? 

Or leave well enough alone?
 cheers  Kozzy

UTn_boy:

--- Quote from: mrkozzy on 31 May 2021, 02:50 AM ---UTn_boy.  Further to your comment;

"On that note, renew your ballast resistors, ignition coil, and condenser out of principle.  They are not good for the life of the car, and can cause the issues you're experiencing."

I'm very interested in your knowledge about replacing these bits. Whilst my car runs very well, I still feel its only around 90%. I still have lots of cranks b4 it starts and the occasional hiccup at highway speeds.
Nothing I lose sleep over, but we like to strive for perfection, don't we?  ::)

My ballast resistors are original.  Have some used ones in a box I've scavenged off wrecks over the years. Should I use them or go for "new"
My ignition coil seems to be working fine. It was however changed some 25 years ago.  Replace with new?
Which condenser are you referring to? 

Or leave well enough alone?
 cheers  Kozzy

--- End quote ---

Let me ask you these questions

....Have you watched the function of your coil on an oscilloscope while under electrical load at varying RPM's, and compared the results to hot and cold? 
-Have you measured the resistance of the ballast resistors when they're cold AND hot?  It should not change by more than .2 ohms at the most.
-Do you have non resistor plugs in the engine?
-How old are your plug wires, and what is the resistance of the wire and supressor end separately, when cold and when hot? 
-What does the spark pattern look like on each cylinder on the oscilloscope?  If there is a variance, how much is it?

Whether lightly used or heavily used, 25 years is a long time for a coil.  And no, one does not put used ignition components on their car unless it's temporary or in an emergency.  It's like putting a used headlight bulb in......it may last two days or two years. 

The lots of cranks before starting....is that when hot or cold, or both? 

The condenser.....the one in the distributor that controls the voltage spikes in the points so they don't prematurely burn up.  To my knowledge, there is only one condenser in the M-116 and M-117 v-8 ignition systems.  Do you have more than one for some reason? 

entresz:
Thanks for the replies everyone
It's really helpful
There are few more things for me to check

I'll also try and get in touch with Volker -- I have read some of his articles - they're VERY informative

When I bought the car - original owner provided me with some parts... I think I might actually have a throttle position switch there. I'll check.

I'll also put some fresh fuel in and see if that helps. Would be good if that was all the problem is.

These intermittent faults are very frustrating but I shouldn't complain as it's been very reliable until now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version