News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

280se -Power steering belt replacement

Started by chazchuzzlewitt, 04 September 2006, 08:03 PM

chazchuzzlewitt

Hello, I want to replace the power steering V-belt on my 280SE (M110), as it has some cracks showing between the ribs. Never done an accessory belt before so was wandering what the procedure is for replacement...

Also, does anyone know what size belt this is?

cheers.

s class

Chaz,

The P/S belt is either the rear most one, or the second rear most - I can't remember which.

In either case you must first remove the A/C belt.  This is easy - just release the centre hex bolt on the A/C tensioner pulley, then release the 10mm retainer bolt to allow the pulley to move towards the A/C.  Then remove the A/C belt.

If th P/S belt is the rear most one, you need to remove the alternator / fan belt next.  The alternator serves as a tensioner here.  It has a bolt with a toothed washer at its upper most mounting point.  This "gear" engages a track just below the A/C compressor.  First release the locking nut on this geared bolt which you will access from behind the alternator, below the A/C compressor.  Then yo can turn the geared bolt from the front to move the alternator towards the engine and release the belt. 

The P/S belt runs oonly over the crank pulley and the P/S pump.  The P/S pump moves along a similar toothed bracket with a geared bolt above it to tension the belt.  Release the retaining nut from behind the pump, turn the geared bolt in front.  The P/S pump is best accessed from below the car.

Refitment is the reverse of removal.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Pas

Hi all, I also want to replace my power steering belt on my 1974 280S. It has a Vickers type 1 power steering pump without the inbuilt power steering fluid cannister,i.e. this cannister is located separately. I believe I've loosened all the bolts on the unit but I'm still unable to turn the toothed adjustment bolt, it just will not move and I don't want to break it. Is the nut on the other end of this adjustment bolt fixed or meant to be loosened first. It is very hard to get to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've attempted this a couple of times now without any success.  Thank you.

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Pas

Hi Rumb, thanks for the link to the handbook, it's very useful.  The issue I'm having is with the 8mm hex bolt referred to as #1 in the attached diagram; I'm just not able to turn it.  The nut on the back end appears to be fixed as I'm unable to loosen it and the handbook makes not mention of it, so I assume it is fixed.

Not sure if I should use excessive force to loosen the hex bolt, concerned I might break something.

rumb

The adjuster should only turn when all the other bolts are loose.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio