News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

280SE m110 blow by dripping onto ground as bad as a tired OM617

Started by Diesel 617, 23 June 2019, 09:10 PM

Diesel 617

The first 3000miles since getting the 280se started were flawless, not a drip of oil or any problems etc. About 500 miles before the first oil change at approx 3500miles the 280se started having terrible blow by. Its leaks about as much oil as a tired OM617 now. I take the air filter lid off an there is just oil maybe a teaspoon worth or a little more that I can pour out. The engine is only at 85k miles as best as I can tell and the chain has very little wear on it when I checked the stretch.

What is going on here? Am I looking at rebuilding the engine? It runs great with the exception of hard right turns where white smoke billows out the tail pipe and the lifter become very noisy like chattering. I read on another post this is due to the sump screen deteriorating which I know the one on there is cracked but was still in good shape. I have since ordered a new one and a gasket.

Ii did check the oil pan and it is tight. All around the injectors and that whole side of the engine is covered in oil. So close yet to far away on sorting the 280SE out.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

irvine

I'm in the same boat as you mate, sadly it's the valve stem seals that have gone.

I've done a few thing to help stop the smoke and prolong the life of the engine.

As I come from performance cars before my w116, I've ALWAYS fitted an oil catch can, easy and can be picked up on eBay for as little as $20. This has helped in a big way reducing smoke, stopping oil vapour coming back into the intake and happily increasing performance.
I stripped the throttle body and intake manifold, these were CAKED with 350,000km of oil vapour and crap. Again reduced the smoke and increased performance, intact this made the old girl feel alive again.
Lastly I stripped and totally degunked the distributor body and reset the timing.
I've only timed it my sound and feeling as I need to get a timing light but this changes the car drastically, again less smoke and more performance.
Last on my list to do is replace the injector seals.

Also "up" the weight of the oil you use or add some oil thickener. 

Neil.

TJ 450

With any of these engines, the stem seals are at best a short term fix... the real problem is excessive valve guide wear. The only real solution is to remove the head in the case of the M110 and have it fully refurbished with new valve guides. If keeping the car in the long term this will be a worthwhile repair.

With the blow by, that does sound a bit much lol. I'd try one of those additives to flush and attempt to free any stuck rings in case that is the issue. Otherwise it may just be a worn engine.

When you have the oil pan off it would be a good chance to have a good look in there.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

irvine

Anything in particular that can be checked or is there things to look for when dropping the oil pan?

Neil. 

Diesel 617

Unfortunately I already tried the additive stuff to no avail. I guess a head rebuild is next on the research plate.

When I took the oil pan off and pulled the screen off it was obvious that is was cracked, it was also stiff as rock, whereas the new one is flexible. I did clean the screen off while I was down there, figured it was a good short term fix at least.

As for the oil I run 20w-50, I was running Castrol GTX but made the switch the Vavoline High Zinc and my god it was the best thing to swtich to. The zinc makes a massive difference in engine sound and vibration at high speed. I could not reccomened the oil enough here is what it looks like https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil its meant for racing given the precision engineering of Mercedes it's worked wonders. At 35$ per 5 quarts its reasonable.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

TJ 450

It sounds like you're on the right track.

@Neil,
You can get an idea of the general condition of things with the pan off, and check carefully for any chunks of metal floating around. I would shine a flashlight up and look at the condition of the bores when the piston is at tdc, you may be able to get an idea as to the wear. Not at all comprehensive, but it's good for peace of mind I reckon.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

postman70

Too bad you were not in the NYC area..I got a fuel injected M110 with about 75k miles on it..would give it to you for like $500..I have no room for it but hate to get rid of it cause it ran so good...