News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

280SE fuel pump won’t prime

Started by PvG73, 17 June 2018, 02:54 PM

PvG73

I own a 1975 280SE that generally is in great condition. However, two months ago after mixed driving and then sat in traffic (total three hours) it cut out and wouldn't restart. It wasn't overheating, oil pressure was good and there was good spark, but no fuel was getting through. It wouldn't start once cooled down, but the next day started fine. A couple of days later after a short journey then parked for an hour it wouldn't start, the clue this time being that I could hear the fuel pump wasn't priming. It started again the next day, then ran perfectly for several weeks. I then had a new fuel pump, fuse and relay fitted as a precaution, drove home, moved the car 200 yards the next day, then half an hour later the fuel pump again wouldn't prime. The car was towed to a garage, left overnight... and started perfectly. It's run well all week since, so we're not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

PvG73

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this unanswered post in future, the fix was simply to replace a second relay that lets power through to the ECU. That in turns sends power to the fuel pump via another relay, which wasn't faulty after all.

floyd111

Maybe some here got distracted by that pic of your gorgeous house..

ADV_rider

thanks for taking the time to post the solution

W108 1972 280SE 4.5
W116 1977 450SEL 4.5

adamb

I think I saw this car parked one night near Seven Dials in Soho. Is that right?

PvG73

Hi, if several months ago then yes! Was a pain to find a space it would squeeze into.

PvG73

Quote from: PvG73 on 21 July 2018, 06:55 PM
Hi, if several months ago then yes! Was a pain to find a space it would squeeze into.
Quote from: adamb on 02 July 2018, 05:37 PM
I think I saw this car parked one night near Seven Dials in Soho. Is that right?