News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

280SE correct ignition timing

Started by stillmatic, 10 December 2018, 06:16 AM

irvine

Is that the distributor you took apart, is it d-jet or k-jet.

I recently cleaned mine and the funk that came out was disgusting.

Neil.

revilla

Hi Neil,

K-jet.  Dist PN 0237 302 005 as stamped on the body.

Robert

Big Tiny

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

But I almost have the same issue as above.

Advance at idle is ~ 12-14 deg.

3000 rpm or thereabouts is close to 30 deg.

No change in advance with or without vacuum. No what I do I'm not getting anywhere near 3 deg BTDC at idle.

Its a 1984 280se. M110 989.

I think I will pull dizzy off and have a look at the advance mechanism. Any hints on getting new parts if needed would be of great help.

BT

Big Tiny

Just pulled mine off and had a look. Same issue here, looks like someone has done some work on it before, as there looks to be two types of springs fitted to the mechanism. little piece of black plastic fell out when opened, one side of the mechanism missing that black 'arm' and not loading properly.

Big Tiny

From the manual.

My car has the ( 0237 304 021 ) ignition distributor

What I'm confused about is that the Aus delivered cars run 2 deg ATDC at idle ? all other values are the same. No chance my car achieve that with full retard at the dizzy.

For reference prior to removing Dizzy, it was aroun 12 deg BTDC at idle and 30 deg at 3k rpm. So looks like it was on point with the Japanese delivered cars.

Big Tiny

Distributor all cleaned and repaired. It was a little bit dirty inside and some sticky old grease, I'm assuming that's enough to screw with the advance mechanism.

I will refit tomorrow and see what it reads on the timing light.

If anyone has anymore insight into the timing specs above ? would be great. What I don't understand is how can the base timing at idle be
2 deg ATDC but still achieve the same advance at 1500/3500 where the Jap spec engine is 10 deg BTDC ?
Clearly I'm missing something here.