News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

280S won't idle...

Started by Nabstud, 03 May 2020, 04:33 AM

Nabstud

Took the car on a 60km drive on Friday night, ran like clockwork. Stopped and started the motor a couple times on the drive and it was running perfectly. Got home and put it in the shed where it was idling like a sewing machine.

Started it today, cold started like it normally does and I let it idle for a few minutes before I was to drive off (as I normally do). I gave the accelerator a quick little jab to turn off the auto choke as I do and then it just died. It starts again no problem but will die within a couple seconds if I don't give it some throttle. Even with light throttle it is now running rough. If I give it moderate throttle it revs clean and smooth as per normal, anything below about 1500rpm is starts carrying on and will die if I don't give it some throttle. Haven't go a vacuum tester yet so I just checked all the vacuum pipes and sprayed everything with carby cleaner and it made no difference.

It also now has a manifold or exhaust leak up neat the motor, noticed it was a little louder on throttle towards the end of my last drive but not enough to worry me. Now when it is revved there is definitely exhaust leakage near the motor.

Any ideas? Up until today it has been running great, even the cold start today was like normal. I've done about 500km in it since I've had it with normal running.

Solex carby buggered? I thought it may give symptoms before causing such an issue.
1975 280S - Australian delivered

Nabstud

Found the issue, pitted points and blown fuse #4 sorted the issue out. The previous owner installed a reverse camera and that seems to be the culprit. Still not sure how it was driving perfectly one day, the next day starts perfect then dies completely soon after??
1975 280S - Australian delivered