News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

280S Engine removal...easy task?

Started by chinny4290, 26 December 2009, 12:37 AM

koan

Sounds a reasonable way to do things oscar. Might be a bit fiddly to get the centering sleeve lined up when you come to put it back though.

I carved a couple of big spanners out of 6mm mild steel, not the ideal material but they worked.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Quote from: koan on 21 February 2011, 02:55 AM
Might be a bit fiddly to get the centering sleeve lined up when you come to put it back though.

Ah no probs there.  This is a one way operation on the brown wrecker with the rooted transmission.  If things go pear shaped I'll just light the oxy torch and carve the engine out.  But OTOH, it is practice for the next removal.

Good idea on the custom tools.  I can't see me using those sizes on anything other than this type of job.  I think I'm gonna sleep on it and make up my mind tomorrow what to do.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Quote from: oscar on 21 February 2011, 03:44 AM
Good idea on the custom tools.  I can't see me using those sizes on anything other than this type of job.  I think I'm gonna sleep on it and make up my mind tomorrow what to do.

I priced open ended spanners in two sizes needed, over $100 each, so a few bits of mild steel, a hacksaw and some bolts had me a pair of spanners that do the job. Gave them the 30 degree offset too.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

With offset! I swear you and WGB should start making MB special tools.

I went in the shed again and thought, yep, I'll just undo the front flex disk which I did but it wouldn't budge.  With the three sets of bolts removed from the tranny yoke there was still something in the middle.  I didn't realise or forgot the tranny had a shaft that extends into the short prop shaft.

The need to undo that big nut and shorten the shaft was a must.  It was getting on in the night to start grinding out a tool so I'm thinking what I could use and bam! Stiltsons!!  I couldn't use two sets because their teeth are too wide one placed on the locking nut obscures the nut edges of the short shaft.  Instead I slid a couple of bolts back in through the flex coupling then moved the tranny's shift lever into park which stopped the short shaft from turning.  A few 1/8th turns of the pipe wrench and the nut could be turned by hand.

It took a while to do the lift after that.  I just couldn't adjust my chains enough to get a good angle for the tranny and engine to clear everything.  I forgot to remove the engine fan so it put some minor scratches on the top radiator beam.  The smog pump hit that as well.  There was a few cracks and creaks coming from the transmission too as it slid against the transmission tunnel.  I squashed and obliterated the breather I think it is.  Most emabarrassingly I forgot to disconnect the neutral switch and it's totalled.  but when you see the amount of crud around it it's no wonder I forgot about it.  Another stupid thing I did was forgot to unplug the ignition control module's wire and when I realised that it alone was turning the engine sideways I then stupidly cut it rather than unplug it :P

Anyway, good learning curve.  Just need to sort out the chains, probably make or add an adjustable load levelling thing to change the angle of the load.  I like the one pictured in the manual with cogs as a pivot where the hook is and motorbike like chain fed through it connecting to the engine.

TJ 450

What happened to the PNP switch wiring? It looks like it may have been overlooked. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

You have been a busy boy.

As far as the big spanners go I purchased a set of 5 spanners that go from about 25mm up to 50mm for about $120 from my local Auto1 store on the advice of a mate who is a heavy duty fitter on the mines.

My engine crane is the next size up and goes up to 1500kg as I assume it may need to pull a 6.9 motor sometime.

Bill

oscar

I dare say so TJ.  I don't know what it is.  What is PNP?  It's not the neutral switch is it cos I knew I ballsed that up badly.

It's been a while WGB since I've had my hands this dirty.  It was fun and a relief to get it done and get the ball rolling.  It was the worst purchase this car, but anyway.  I'll attack the body with the gas axe tomorrow and I hope to have the lot loaded, bar some good bits and engine/tranny, into the trailer for the recyclers.  I'll keep an eye out for bigger sets of spanners.  That's a pretty good price.

The crane behaved well.  I had it on full extension at the 250kg mark and it had the slightest curve in the extension but no bounce.  I've got a feeling though that it was more evident at the 250kg mark when I lifted SELfor50's spare 6.9 block when I brought it home.  No heads or trans, just the block.  A full 6.9 engine and trans combo must be one hell of a load.  I thought this 1000kg one would be good enough for a complete 6.9 and trans and it probably will do but I'm not so sure what boom extension I'll get away with safely.