News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

280 SE Big service..

Started by carl888, 15 March 2008, 11:05 PM

carl888

Thanks Oscar and sclass, all seems clear now...so I assume I'd gain a little more power if I put the twin exhaust on?

Oh, Oscar, I have replaced the timing decal :)

Regards,

carl.

another sad 280s

certainly setting the standard for engine bay presentation. has the engine always been so or rather the result of recent arduous work. am about to remount my exhaust manifold, however upon seeing your pictures have been given cause for pause. what colour is yours painted and is that original.

s class

I believe that is the original and correct colour for all engine variants of this era. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

carl888

Hi All,

A quick update.  The work has stalled over the last two weeks due to a move (Yuk, anyone want to help lol).  I will be back in the w/shop over this Easter weekend though to try to complete it.  The engine actually looks just plain silly with the re-plated tinware.  Although the engine now mirrors the brochure, this car is getting to the stage where I'm too scared to drive it......sad.

The engine bay was exceptional when I bought it, I've done nothing to it.  I bought the car in 2007 with just on 90,000 kms, the previous owner claimed the last time he drove it in the rain was in 1979.  The only thing I have done to it was repair and re-dye the centre console (You can see that in a seperate thread about the interior resto)

The exhaust manifold appears to be painted in a white heat proof paint.  It does not appear to be ceramic coated.  The car was like that when I bought it.

I'll get some pics up of the progress over the weekend.

Happy Easter to all.

Regards,

Carl.

another sad 280s

The carbie is in fact all plated as the picture shows. i just had mine done. however contrary to the picture my rear dashpot is black. not sure what the issue is there.

carl888

Hi Guys,

Been away for some time but now back into the swing of these after a recent project absorbed more time than expected!  So, the 280 SE is nearly done.  Sadly, I've done something I thought I may regret.....and I have!

I should never have replated the engine tinware, because you have to do everything....then, you end up with a car you don't want to drive!  Hahahahahaha, knew it was going to end up like this.

The other job i did was replace all of the rubber lines in the fuel injection system.  Some were quite cracked under the hose clamps.  The service records with the car date to 1992 when this job was last performed.

Some pics of the progress so far:

Regards,

Carl.

TJ 450

That doesn't just look like new, it is new! I could be mistaken to think that W116es were still in production. ;)

It is like that, though. Once you start plating things, it doesn't look right until everything is plated.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Very nice.  The title of this thread has become a bit of an understatement.....

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

another sad 280s

you have probably heard this before but your car has  become my new goal, despite being somewhat behind the 8 ball. please keep the pics coming. the wheel arches are spectacular.

carl888

Thanks for all the positive comments.  Finished the fuel rail hoses, rebult the distributor, throttle linkages are almost done along with all the hoses.

I'm not a 100% originality freak, you'll notice that by the stainless hose clamps on the water hoses but I'm pretty pleased with it all so far.  Replacing some of the rubber grommets on the firewall, what a pain!

Some more pics, the last one of yours truly getting stuck into it!  Will hopefully knock it off by the end of next week.

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

another sad 280s

what is the sticker on the top of the engine?

carl888

Quote from: another sad 280s on 16 August 2009, 08:05 AM
what is the sticker on the top of the engine?

The one on the cam cover is the valve clearance information, the green one on the fan shroud is the coolant change date.

TJ 450

That's excellent.

The M110s sure are a nice looking engine in a business sort of way.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what's the mounting arrangement for the distributor's adjusting bolt?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

carl888

Quote from: TJ 450 on 16 August 2009, 10:33 AM
That's excellent.

The M110s sure are a nice looking engine in a business sort of way.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what's the mounting arrangement for the distributor's adjusting bolt?

Tim

Sorry Tim, a bit confused, would you like me to take a pic of the moutning bolt?

Regards,

Carl.