News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

280 SE Big service..

Started by carl888, 15 March 2008, 11:05 PM

robertd

Hi Carl,

Looks like you are really getting stuck into this job on the brakes.

Typically you do things the they we all would want them to be done.

and your pictures are always very clear and sharp?

Well done,

Cheers

Rob

116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

carl888

Quote from: robertd on 27 January 2009, 05:45 AM
Hi Carl,

Looks like you are really getting stuck into this job on the brakes.

Typically you do things the they we all would want them to be done.

and your pictures are always very clear and sharp?

Well done,

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the compliments....as always, it's the labour that's the biggest component.  Sourcing the parts is a joy with people like you around!!!  If it wasn't for you, I would have been stuffed!  The hold up atm the delivery of the new heater hoses, not arriving till the 6th. February.  When that's all done, straight down to you to show her off.....and deliver a little gift :)

Oh, and the camera is the same as yours !!

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Well, the job continues...but it's not completed!   Pics will tell the story so far......

After rebuilding the rear calipers (Thanks Rob for the calipers!!), time to put them on, with new hoses front and rear:

Now the cooling/heater hose drama commences, mainly because it took a long time for them to come in:

As this stage, I decided to do something silly.....remove all the brightwork from the engine that was originally cadmium plated and somewhat discoloured....and have it replated.  You can't cad plate these days for health reasons, but you can yellow chromate which is almost the same, perhaps a little brighter. 

Here is all the bits sorted, cleaned and ready to head off to the platers:

And this is the result, I collected the tinware today and here it is in the back of the 300TD still with its wires attached as this is how its suspended whilst the plating process occurs.  Can't wait to put it on!

Here is the engine with the goodies removed for plating, look very clean minus the throttle linkage:

Time to pull the cam covers off and have a peek before the valve adjustment begins, luckily it's nice and clean.  Interestingly, the car has not been started for 6 weeks and there was absolutely no oil on the cam lobes and rockers.  Something to keep in mind if your car stands for sometime.

The weekend will allow me to begin assembly, can't wait!

Regards,

Carl.

s class

Hi Carl,

thanks for sharing those pictures of your magnificent car.  I believe that Mercedes did not use cadmium plating, at least not post-WW2.  It has apparently always been zinc plating. 

I have had some bits done for my 6.9, but its always difficult to tell how dark the plating of each piece was originally.  Some pieces appear to have been very light - almost silver coloured, whilst others were clearly very yellow.  I think that the plating seems to loose its yellow-ness over time.  I try to refer to period photos of the engines when they were new, and from what I've seen, in general, the plating was originally more yellow than we generally realise. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

carl888

Great, thanks Sclass for that clarification, so I guess its a zinc passivate process for the original finish?  I spoke to the plater today and he can also plate in silver, I can't recall the process, but it's a really nice bright zinc like finish.  Some parts of the throttle linkage is this colour.

What I did for guidance was I pulled out the brochure, fair enough its for a K-Jet car so post 1976 (Mine is 1974) but it's the only decent pic of an M110 engine I had to go on.

Regards,

Carl.

And a V8 as well:

carl888

That V8 looks like it has ABS too!

nathan

Carl,
some awesome pics of your lovely engine bay...
i must however laugh at your initial service list, a diff oel change every 7500km?!?!  thats incredibly frequent! what is the actual recomended interval?
fantastic to be done, but i dont imagine many of the cars have even had their diff oil changed!
however, great effort for keeping whitey in tip top shape!!
regards from the other side
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

carl888

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the kind words, same to sclass as well.  I think I misquoted the service manual, engine oil at 7,500 kms, diff oil at the first service then that's it, untill it blows up I guess.  I changed mine anyway, it looked like honey at 91,000 kms.

Regards,

Carl.

s class

Carl, that v8 does not have ABS.  It has the Webasto block preheater. 

This is what ABS looks like :

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

Here's some of the photos I use for reference - all from early 70's brochures.

Some aspects are a bit questionable, like those photos of the 280S carb.  Surely the whole carb wasnt plated like that?

oscar

Bloody awsome Carl.   8)

I wondered about the yellow metals a long time ago, long before I'd seen anyone do some plating like sclass and PB.  I used to think the factory pics for publications might have been hand coloured or repainted just like suspension and steering components are with red, green, blue and yellow purely for illustrative purposes in sales brochures.   The colours just looked too rich in the catalogues, especially that carb looks like it's been rebuilt by Goldmember but the overall look is fantastic. 

There's a thread somewhere here with a numbe of new or refurbished engines.  I can't find it but it may have further pics of the d-jet m110.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

carl888

Thanks sclass.....looks like I've forgotton to plate my dipstick tube!!

The block pre-heater, now that must be a super rare fitment (As is ABS I guess).  Thanks for the clarification.

Do we have any M110 engine experts out there?  I'm curious about the 2 part exhaust manifold in sclass' pics.  My car has the two part manifold with a 'y' piece to single exhaust.

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Quote from: oscar on 18 March 2009, 05:53 PM
Bloody awsome Carl.   8)

I wondered about the yellow metals a long time ago, long before I'd seen anyone do some plating like sclass and PB.  I used to think the factory pics for publications might have been hand coloured or repainted just like suspension and steering components are with red, green, blue and yellow purely for illustrative purposes in sales brochures.   The colours just looked too rich in the catalogues, especially that carb looks like it's been rebuilt by Goldmember but the overall look is fantastic. 

There's a thread somewhere here with a numbe of new or refurbished engines.  I can't find it but it may have further pics of the d-jet m110.

Thanks Oscar,

Im my case the plating was easy, because the existing plating was not sufficiently dull to be unrecognisable.  I recall some of these cars new in the 1970's and 80's and really, the bits were that shiny!  The texture is different though, the original has a slight mottled finish, like it's been rubbed over with 1200 wet and dry, the re-plated bits seem smooth.

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

Quote from: Carl Jones on 18 March 2009, 05:56 PM
Do we have any M110 engine experts out there?  I'm curious about the 2 part exhaust manifold in sclass' pics.  My car has the two part manifold with a 'y' piece to single exhaust.

Carl,
You just need a new timing decal and you're done 8)

I should leave the exhaust to sclass since he educated me on the differences but whilst I'm here.... to summarise, RHD cars seem to have the "y", LHD cars (without cat converters) seem to have the swept back manifolds.  W123's and your w126 I would assume also have swept back manifolds.  The w116 and w123 swept back manifolds are slightly different with the w116 type more free flowing in design.  For a longer version with pics read here Link
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

I think you are spot on there Oscar about the exhausts.  I can't really add anything further.