News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

1979 280 SE not running on fuel

Started by Bobe, 27 April 2022, 11:10 AM

Bobe

Thanks Revilla,

i drove the car on the road on fuel and it works fantastically, except for idling. I have turned the idling plastic screw anti-clockwise and it does not stall anymore. However, even when the engine is warm, idling is unstable, but strangely enough very consistently so: it idles normally for 7-10 sec, then it goes down on the verge of stalling (but in most cases not stalling any more) for a few seconds, and then idle normaly again for 7-10 sec etc.

The air metering disk goes up a tiny bit when idling normally, and goes down and closes when the enfine rev is dropping and down again fr g, then up again etc.

'79 280SE Champagne 473
'67 250SL Horizon blue 304
'83 Citroen 2CV Villalunga red

Bobe

It seems a reponse was not posted so I'll go again.

I went for a drive on the road and the car works fantastically well, much more powerful than with LPG. However, idling is still a problem. I have turned the nylon screw anti-clockwise and this has improved the situation. However, idling is very unstable, buts "consistently" so: it idles normally for 7-10 sec, then goes down on the verge of stalling (but rarelly stalls) for 2-3 sec, then idles fine for 7-10 sec, then down again etc. This pattern is very regular.

I have noticed that the air metering disc goes up by one millimeter or so when idling normally, and goes down and closes when idling falls. It does that at normal operating temperature - 80-90 degrees C.

I have identified the reason for the noise of the pump: it is because it touches the plastic protection and therefore transits the noise through it which normally should be stopped by the - well named - silent blocks.
'79 280SE Champagne 473
'67 250SL Horizon blue 304
'83 Citroen 2CV Villalunga red