News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

1978 280SE DOHC inline 6cyl - stalls when warm

Started by BenzGmarket, 13 October 2009, 09:06 PM

TJ 450

The way I see it is that the rich mixture at cold start may initially make the engine run smoother, but that is purely speculation.

Also, blockage of the catalytic converter would be apparent under all conditions, I would have thought.

The stalling may be a result of a lean mixture or excessive fuel as well. Have you checked the airflow meter for ease of movement and more importantly, how is the air filter element?

Anyway, it will be a matter of going through and testing to find the problem.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

BenzGmarket

Where can I find the warm up regulator on the car?  I have been looking all over and cant find it.

BenzGmarket

What do you mean by air filter element?  You mean the filter itself?  Because that is brand new.

s class

The WUR is located on the side of the engine block, at the rear, just ahead of the bellhousing, on the left hand side.  It is tucked away below the inlet manifold- you can only see it from underneath the car. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

BenzGmarket

;D
Well, I found an adjustment screw on the throttle body below the sensor plate that decides where the idle sits, it was apparently to low.  I just screwed it inwards a few turns and viola!  It idles perfectly when warm and never stalls when at a stop light, even with the a/c pumping. 

After all that it was the most simple adjustment and all is well.  Oh well, I am sure it needed those other parts I put on as well..haha/

Thanks for all the advice.

kastad

Where did you buy the test gauge for testing fuel pressure? And does it fit D-jetronic systems too?