News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

1977 280SE CV Joint FAIL!

Started by wonwon6, 08 June 2010, 01:52 AM

wonwon6

Hello all,

My '77 280SE decided last weekend to make my life interesting by exploding the CV joint on the rear-end drivers side. My mechanic is having trouble tracking down a good used one (he's been quoted around a grand for a new one  :o  ex-Germany)

Thing is -if going with a used one, it needs to be from that location on the car. A CV from the passanger side will have different wear patterns -so I'm told.

Also he wants to know if this CV is interchangeable with other models (as I also have a parts mobile '78 450SE) and he has access to other similar age 116's.

If you have a suitable replacement to sell/trade or can enlighten me on my options & alternatives,  Dave @ Dave Short Automotive and I would be most thankful. 

TJ 450

There won't be any problems using the shaft off your 450 parts car. It would be a good idea to freshen up both at the same time so as to make sure they match.

There are differences, but this only really applies in the inverse situation, ie fitting 280 parts on a 6.9 etc.

As mentioned before by MT, the best ones to get are the late model W126 versions with the flanges. Early W126 280, 380, 500 versions will also fit without problems though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

KenM

Can't find just the CV joint in the EPC, there are a number of part numbers for the half shaft assembly, could depend on your chassis number, but I see on Rockauto that you can get a reco half shaft assembly for about USD150, including sending your old assembly. They also say that this part suits many models, including the 450 se, so the half shaft in your parts car should be suitable.

Good luck!
Ken

wonwon6

Thank you Ken & Tim. I have passed this on to David. Looks like the 450SE is in for some organ donor-ship duty this weekend...

Cheers,

Ross