News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

1973 Euro manual heater repair

Started by yxi, 08 January 2015, 05:11 PM

yxi

So time has come to fix the heater console. The problem in my car is that both the warm/cold steel inner levers are broken. Another thing is that the "up arrow" lever on the left doesn't seem to do anything.

First of all i removed the console. Then i thought why not get a nice wood console since it is already out. So after some ebay searching i found my match. Already received and it looks very nice.

Then i thought hmm, wooden heater. Then i need wooden ashtray and wooden center console too. So they are now on their way :)

Back to repairing. Here are the two broken levers. The driver side heat control is broken at the tip of the steel lever, so that should be pretty easy to glue back in place

the passenger side heater lever is broken further down, so there might be some swearing involved when trying to glue that one in place. But i removed the radio too, so i have hand space, and i think it will be doable.

Will use Loctite metal epoxy for the job, reinforcing with some steel plates glued to the side of the levers where they are broken, I hope it will hold up. Just waiting for some warmer weather now to give it a try.

The other lever on the drivers side, the "up arrow" looks like there is a wire supposed to be attached to a knob on the lever. On my car it isn't attached, as you can see in this pic.

Am I assuming correctly when thinking the wire should be attached to the lever knob and move the wire up/down by moving the lever? I can manage to attach the wire by hand, but once i move the lever a little bit, the tension of the wire just make it pop right off again, as if something is out of place. My thought on this would be to place the wire on the knob, then secure it with some kind of plate attached to the knob end, making it impossible for the wire to jump off again. Any better ideas?

On the passenger side "down arrow" lever i can't seem to see any wire. Doesn't look like the same mechanism. Is that correct?

Last, i just want to show a pic of the original 1973 Blaupunkt Frankfurt that cleaned up very nice. I just love to clean old parts when they turn out like this :D