News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

1972 280se 2.8 Stalling issue

Started by Robdevil, 14 June 2021, 05:15 PM

Robdevil

Hi folks , I just purchased a 280se and it starts good when cold and then it shuts off after 5-10 minutes and doesn't restart .
I have spark and fuel pump seems to work fine .
I changed the fuel filter and it was pretty gunked  up .  The problem is still happening .

Is there any other fuel filters ?

I also noticed the points on the inside of the distributor look a little burnt .

Could this be the problem?

Thank you in advance

Robdevil

daantjie

Assuming this is DJET fuel injection?  Most of us here have experience in the later, and in my opinion much more robust KJET system however I'm sure some learned guys will chime in.  Member "s class" (Ryan) is the resident DJET guru, see if you can PM him.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Robdevil

Randys01

Rob 
whilst you await some divine intervention on the wonders of D jet ,you might like to go thru a few of the basics .
so does the fuel pump deliver when it's hot and stalls?.
Is there still a spark at the plugs when it's hot and stalls?

if the answer is yes and yes then the problem lies in the D jet.either there is no spark to trigger the injectors.....all 6..yet there is spark to the plugs.
or..whilst the fuel pump is delverg to the fuel distribution system, it is not being distributed to the injectors because of a gremlin in the element of the d jet which  farms the fuel out.
The problem only manifest itself when it gets hot so everything is there and works fine but for temp.

A D jet guru will pin point this scenario fairly quickly.but one must be sure that spark and fuel are performing as described above before anything.