News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

12v CIGARETTE LIGHTER replacement

Started by OLDGOLD, 10 April 2019, 09:04 AM

OLDGOLD

So I'm aware that the euro 12V sockets in our cars are wider in diameter than modern counterparts, but can they still charge? I've tried prying out the tabs to make contact, but no matter what I put into the socket nothing works, even with a zip-tie on the side to compensate for the difference in width.

I recently purchased an aftermarket socket with lighter (pictured below), but can't seem to get that to work either. The strange thing is that my ashtray light only works when the MB socket is installed, but doesn't when I install this AM unit. The light also doesn't work when the light is plugged in by itself either, only when the MB socket and light are plugged in together do they work. When I install the new lighter, which fits like a dream thank to the sleeve that screws in, but it doesn't seem to be getting power. There is a power connection that hooks right up, but the sleeve has a connection as well. Is this the ground connection. I want this to work so bad!

I'd like to keep the vehicle as stock as possible and know that I can wire in a hidden USB port, but I'd like to be able to use my 12v lighter socket if possible. Any feedback would be appreciated!

raueda1

I had a similar issue - maybe??   It might not exactly answer the question but I'll recount what I did FWIW.  I had intermittent illumination and the lighter didn't work well, or even at all.  It seemed like the contact wiper was oxidized and there was gunk all over.  I took the whole thing completely apart and bead-blasted everything clean.  That included the ashtray itself, lighter socket, etc.  Thereafter it has worked fine.  I've got a USB charger in the lighter socket and it works well.  It's bit wobbly and does sometimes work its way out a bit but still functional.  [I didn't know diameters were different, so that explains the wobble.]
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Who still smokes in this day and age ;D?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

OLDGOLD

I do on occasion and prefer the MB lighter to a liquid fueled lighter.

I see that you were able to clean the contacts to get the existing lighter to work, but is there an aftermarket option or maybe one from another vehicle that would allow me to charge my phone? That's the end goal here.

Alec300SD

The contacts are on the left side of the ashtray.

I use my lighter socket as a power source for the GPS unit. (Photo attached)
On long trips I have a piggyback dual USB charger that has a tap in the center (it won't power a cigarette lighter).
I also use a gooseneck  USB powered reading lamp for the front passenger.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

Alec300SD

The original lamp and lighter socket get  power from the slide contact on the side of the ashtray.
The ground for the circuit is the housing of the lamp socket (and/or the lighter socket) to the body of the ashtray (and then on to the chassis).

Sounds like you didn't ground the circuit.
Of course power is only available with ignition key 1 and 2  positions.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: OLDGOLD on 10 April 2019, 09:04 AM
So I'm aware that the euro 12V sockets in our cars are wider in diameter than modern counterparts,

Oh... so is this why when I have my Garmin or phone charger in my car, it has to be in exactly a particular position, and then a slight bump will disrupt it so it no longer gets any power? I've found it very irritating, and if these are a different width than what most cars have, that makes sense.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

OLDGOLD

If you look at the picture of the 12V socket above that I ordered, you will see a tab on the bottom of the socket for power as well as another on the side of the outer sleeve. If I could create a bridge from the ground tab on the outer case to the ashtray would that work?

Alec300SD

OLDGOLD

OK, I'll try that tonight and report back. Any ideas of what i should wrap around it? a paperclip?