News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

116 Diesels What's Your Mpg's?

Started by john erbe, 11 March 2013, 02:47 PM

john erbe

Thinking of using that 116 diesel in something else but first, what kind of mpg are you guys getting?

curbill

20 to 30 mpg on our 123's 126 and our new 116 (1980). Depending if I or my wife is driving said vehicle. The most is a solid 32 with my wife driving to school for a 620 mile usage.

Benzman53

My 1980 300SD gets 25 mpg whether I drive it easy or like I stole it. It's pretty much stock except I've disabled the ALDA and stepped the boost to 14.5 psig (max.).

WrightSounds

My 1980 300SD gets 23-26mpg ALL CITY. Pretty good in my opinion for a 20' car that weighs 2 tons! My wife drives it daily, 40 miles round trip, on a stop-and-go 4-lane that ranges from 30-45mph. Had the car 5 months and yet to take it on a lengthy highway trip  :(
We've gone through full tanks of gas where the car hasn't been on the interstate once.

john erbe

Thanks guys. Thinking of putting that engine into a Land Rover Disco. Better engine than the Rover TDI.

scraf

Not sure where you're from Mr Erbe, but .....

I was talking to my mechanic saying, if I blow up another motor on the V8, I'm going to throw a diesel in, firstly because the V8 is missing lots of stuff, like the computer box thing, and the fact that I can troubleshoot a diesel engine myself, as opposed to the K-Jet that has even my mechanic confused. Fuel would be about the same price for a 3 liter diesel as the 4,5 liter on LPG is, maybe.

... but he said, he'd changed a diesel into a petrol bus, and had to take the bus to the other side of Holland to get it sound tested, as in run it around a track for a bit, they took a measurement and handed him a piece of paper certifying that the diesel motor wasn't too loud. That piece of paper cost € 250, not to mention the fuel costs to get there and the wasted afternoon.

Just saying.

john erbe

Here in California there will be hoops to go through. Still in the investigative stage.

ZCarFan

That's what I love about being in Georgia... No testing of Diesels and no testing after 25 years.

The two 300SDs I had would hover around 25 mpg in mixed driving.  The same loop in my base '90 Civic with 4-speed manual was 38-40 mpg.  When I got my first SD, it was staying around 28-30 and then I got new tires, an alignment, and replaced the missing wastegate reference line.  then it dropped to 25.  I expect that it was mostly the tires and alignment which were not up to snuff.  The tires showed toe-in wear rather quickly and that much toe will kill economy.    Traded them off for a 280SE before I got any further in the experiments.