News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

You don't see this every day.............

Started by gregdeklerk, 05 May 2007, 01:25 PM

gregdeklerk

116 front seats with no headrests!! I know they look odd, almost like a 108!! What do you guys think?

BAR

Those door trims make me think that this car was one made in South Africa.

Soft ninyl at the top of the door and the flat square trim to the rear of the doors.. only done in the cars made there to my knowledge.  [Could be that some cars made in Asia had the same, but I am not sure].

Andrew280SEL

Hmmmmm....

aren't South African cars built with the one drivers mirror only? If so, then this car would have to have an adapted mirror if it was built in SA.

That interior sure is nice, but those seats, well one would have to think that the missing headrests would be ever so slightly more...uncomfortable  8)
If it was a 6.9, which of course it wouldn't be being basic spec, but if it was I reckon your neck would be snapped off with the power!

Nice colour though.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

Looks like a poverty model, no headrests and wind up windows.

It's screaming 280S to me.

oscar

Greg, you're getting hammered.

This is your car isn't it?

I'll go into bat for you Greg.  You seem to absent for the moment.

All SA cars had thin door moulds and a lot had no headrests and I forgot if any did.   I can't remember what you guys told me the other day.   The L side  mirror was added recently.

Headrests may be a safety thing for rear end accidents but I've never experienced a comfortable headrest.  Without being hunchbacked,  most cars I've driven require me to become uncomfortable to touch the headrest.  Headrests are more aesthetic for me.  It's why I'm repacking my shrunken 350's.  Personally I prefer no rear headrests because of the panoramic view you get whilst reversing the car and or a trailer.

I guess we get so use to seeing big padded headrests and thick door moulds that this "new" look seems so different.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

That is Gregs beautiful car.  Its an early 280SE, built in South Africa.  Our locally built cars only got front headrests from '76 onwards, and rear headrests only in late '79. 

The thin door skins are standard for all South African built 116's.  Also, correct, none of our cars had left hand rear view mirrors - Greg recently received it from the Original Godfather (OG). 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Thanks Guys. I just thought it would be novel to see the back of the front seats!! ;D

oscar

I wonder if there's any "innards" for accepting headrests in those seats.  Maybe not the rails but if there's the hidden hole for the release button for the headrests at least.

Do any of you, SA or not, know of this secret hole I speak of? 

I had also been looking at rear headrests a while back and found a set that had been relisted a few times.  Like I said, I wont bother with rears but there's some interesting photos should one want to see what innards hold the headrests in place.  These are tilt type ones too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150101442644&rd=1,1
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

Quote from: Des on 06 May 2007, 07:00 AM
Looks like a poverty model, no headrests and wind up windows.

It's screaming 280S to me.

Des, I believe  you used "poverty" in a figurative sense and  I don't want to sound arrogant but, the word poverty does not sit well on a 280s. When new they cost twice the price of the Jaguar XJ6, which was a luxury saloon.

To the others,
Those door trims were also available on NON-SA cars too. Mine was independently imported direct from Germany and came with the same door cards plus a variety of extras, one being reading lamps on the C-column.

How many of you have a 280s with reading lamps? I've yet to find one in Brazil!

Andrew280SEL

So....

out of interest, did any cars outside of SA come with no left mirror?  ???

My dads red 280se manual must be SA if so, cos its got no left mirror and those door moulds as well.

As I said, great colour BTW Greg.  ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Brian Crump

The concensus seems to be that you need to bring it with you when you migrate to Australia. Oscar is already finding a spot in his shed for it and Miss Olga says she would like to try the front passenger seat (she does not yet drive). What about it Greg?
Regards,
BC

gregdeklerk

Andrew, what year is that 280SE? Is it a German made one?

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Brian Crump on 08 May 2007, 01:38 AM
The concensus seems to be that you need to bring it with you when you migrate to Australia. Oscar is already finding a spot in his shed for it and Miss Olga says she would like to try the front passenger seat (she does not yet drive). What about it Greg?
Regards,
BC

Miss Olga is most welcome. Would she insist that Bea sit on the back seat or would she care to share the front seat with Bea?

Des

Quote from: Martin 280s on 07 May 2007, 05:20 AM
Des, I believe  you used "poverty" in a figurative sense and  I don't want to sound arrogant but, the word poverty does not sit well on a 280s. When new they cost twice the price of the Jaguar XJ6, which was a luxury saloon.

mate I was just sturring, any benz no matter what model is a great car, I drive a 230 daily, what does that say about me? I must be homeless i.e. below the poverty line.

Andrew280SEL

I'm not entirely sure where its made, but its a '74. Where would you check for the  build location? The little compliance plate says made in Germany, but that could mean the plate I'm not sure....
but I guess if the plate was made there than the car would be too... ::)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9