News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

You don't see this every day.............

Started by gregdeklerk, 05 May 2007, 01:25 PM

OzBenzHead

I have a client (northern NSW Oz) whose 116 280S has those skinny door trims.  I shall check his ID plate next time he visits to determine where it was built.

(Interestingly - ? - although this client is a medical doctor, and could no doubt afford a newer car, he insists that it's a great car, has never let him down, and is likely more reliable than anything new he might buy.   He loves it and will not part with it.)

I see a lot of 116s in Oz with no LHS mirror (mine has one, but is a UK import).
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

frikkie

Quote from: Martin 280s on 07 May 2007, 05:20 AM
Quote from: Des on 06 May 2007, 07:00 AM
Looks like a poverty model, no headrests and wind up windows.

Des, I believe  you used "poverty" in a figurative sense and  I don't want to sound arrogant but, the word poverty does not sit well on a 280s. When new they cost twice the price of the Jaguar XJ6, which was a luxury saloon.

How many of you have a 280s with reading lamps? I've yet to find one in Brazil!

I think you just misunderstood Des. We also regularly refer to the base model of any range here as the "poverty spec" model, figuratively. This could even apply to the base model Aston Martin, Bentley or Ferrari...

We've never had the reading lighst on the C-pillar, although the manual refers to them. Would have loved to have them.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 08 May 2007, 02:12 AM

(Interestingly - ? - although this client is a medical doctor, and could no doubt afford a newer car, he insists that it's a great car, has never let him down, and is likely more reliable than anything new he might buy.   He loves it and will not part with it.)

Good on him I say!  ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

My red 280S has thin doors and made in Germany and has had a L mirror added on later at some stage.  (I can tell).

What's the code for made in Germany and RHD?  22 is it.  I look these things up and forget them.  There's an easy way to tell Andrew on that plate on the radiator or the chasis number stamped on the firewall.  I've just forgotten where I put the list I typed up of what the numbers meant.

Both the 350 and the 280se have no passenger mirrors and are made in Germany too.  But they both have thick door moulds  (all have front headrests ;) ;D

None have reading lights in the c-pillar.  The lights can be bought off US ebay BTW
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Hey Oscar, I'll trade LHS mirror (Styria close your eyes) for head rests and since that hole you have been digging is now waist deep, I'll take the thick door panels from the 280SE too. ;D

oscar

Oh, so you noticed my little dig...... yet again ::) ;D  I should stop, all in jest though. ;)  If only you were closer Greg, I'd give 'em to you.  I've been a bit busy to think about the turd lately.  But I'm going underneath tomorrow, to take a few things apart (weather permitting).  I've also seen a few 280S' for sale in Oz with interesting features.  Shall post details soon in a shop thread.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

huck280

Left hand door mirrors were an option on British 116s, according to me book. I've never seen one here without, though - just like i don't know anyone with the ABS...