News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Wood trim on the main panel

Started by W116-M117, 10 February 2013, 03:59 AM

W116-M117

Hi gents,

days ago a friend of mine started a discussion in our italian club forum: because he would like to buy a W116, he is checking any opportunity and he was surprised how most of the W116s he checked have a completely flat wood trim, whereas his actual 450SEL has a step on the surface, being not flat. This is - and that's the origin of his surprise - not connected with the choice of the wood, because he found specimen with flat wood, even zebrano or walnut: he always had the opinion that walnut has flat trim, while zebrano trim has the step... nevertheless, I clarify to him explaining that the step shape is typical of the first series, while the flat shape one is characteristic of the last cars.

But I was not able to answer about the date: when did the Mercedes-Benz introduce the flat shape wood trim? As far as I guess, it would be in 1976 (with the 2nd series of the W116), but I'm not sure: some appearance details some times changed apart from the series introduction, i.e. the tail pipe exhaust, straight until 1974 and then curved... Question is still without answer :-\     

jbrasile

W116-M117,

You are correct, it is my understanding that up until 75 the wood had the "step" and from 76 onwards it became flat. Incidentally console wood came on line for the 78 model year. Early cars used something similar to zebrano but I believe it was some kind of ebony.

75 6.9's I think also had the step wood during their first year 1975 and then went to flat. They were the first model to use console wood a year earlier in 1977 and as far as I know were the only 116's offered with burl walnut, I have never seen a "regular" car with burl, not even 450SEL's

Exhaust tips changed together with the fuel injection systems so V8's got bent pipes in 76, 280's in 77

Tks,

Joe

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 10 February 2013, 10:24 AM
You are correct, it is my understanding that up until 75 the wood had the "step" and from 76 onwards it became flat. Incidentally console wood came on line for the 78 model year. Early cars used something similar to zebrano but I believe it was some kind of ebony.

I believe the stepped wood was only available through 1973 actually.  My 1974 has the flat wood, and I have only ever seen the stepped wood on some 1973 models (but not all!).  We didn't get 1972 W116's in the USA.

The other wood besides burl is macassar ebony, and it was only available through 1973 as well.  It is my favorite, but sadly you can't get center console trim to match it, because they only made black plastic trim until 1976/1977.  I have a new old stock ebony glove box trim piece, but that's the only piece I have.  I despise burl and will be replacing it in my 6.9's...

mirafioriman

I'm the opposite I just love burl walnut :D
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.