News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Wood console restored

Started by AMG69, 24 February 2007, 12:32 AM

AMG69

Picked this up yesterdau at $260 Aust.

Old:

(looked worse than this close up)

New (with new switches added and revarnished etc):

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

Chris; what was the grain/texture of yours like? I know mine there is some inconsistency where it has faded, was curious how this would be dealt with.

Vad El

Ahhh.....i need veneer like this....VERY NEEEEEEEEED
Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006

AMG69

Des, i got the idea from the guy who did it that once its all sanded back any inconsistencies are removed....but I'm no expert.  Mine was in pretty good condition but I thought I might as well redo it given the switches needed to be put in!

AMG69

No Styria, these are the front heated seat switches.  The rear reclining seat has switches identical to the rear window switches.  The rear heated seat switches are mounted on the B pillars

Des

How far does the seat recline?

That has to be the ultimate factory option for a W116,

"getting Chauffeured around in a S Class W116 with the rear seat fully reclined."

:D ;D

AMG69

Michel is correct! 

By the way here is my centre console reinstalled with Heated Seat Switches and new Centre Console Box in matching Burl (EBAY purchase - US$105)

Des

Chris your car just gets better and better,

tell us about the fire extinguisher? is it a factory original?

About the only thing I can think you need now is a period mounted mobile phone, which were a very rare and expensive option at the time. I have some pictures of one "somewhere"

s class

Chris,

Bravo again.  Your car is currently my favourite of all those I've seen on the internet (no offense to other members and their glorious cars!) - its just that I love silver over black leather.  Your car is spectacular.  A real achievement. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Well Spotted PatB  :D :D

I second ryan's and des comments. 

I've thought in the past how good it would be to have an online concours event with forum members voting for different categories.

Then-
Chris comes along with this beauty finished and I thought to myself, "he'll win most categories year after year". 
So I've dropped that idea for now :D ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

The following makes interesting reading for those who want to do it themselves. Gee - I hope I have this in the right thread - I fear Admin's law-enforcing-dog (Dforcer? ;D) may be after me if I have got the wrong one   :-[
Anyway, the link to how one person did his Jag wood is at http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/wood_restoration.html
Regards,
BC

oscar

Thanks Brian.  Shame there's no pics but nonetheless, there not needed.  Reading the method, it still comes down to patience being the key and the materials on this occasion, polyurethane and paintstripper.  I was interested to read he used the brushon variety poly' which I had no luck with.  I think Dforcer will be fine with your post.  BTW what's the weather like in Sydney :o Sorry I couldn't help it. :-X :-X Bad oscar!! >:( :D

1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

I've thought about superchargers / turbo's etc but I think suddenly you can find yourself having massivley overcapitalised and with no guarantee of resale value; whereas a set of genuine AMG heads and cams circa 1980 - for a 6.9 - ex Germany (lying in some old German's shed somewhere???) - NOW THAT I would buy!!!  and I could still be easily convinced to go down the shorter diff ratio route (say 2.95 rather than 2.65)..and a four speed auto....and......oops.   ::)