News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Windshield

Started by zedster, 03 March 2009, 02:24 AM

zedster

What are your guys thoughts on replacing the original windshield, with the Mercedes logo on it, with an aftermarket windshield? Unfortunately mine has a pretty bad round chip in it. Are original Mercedes-Benz windshields still available?
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

Big_Richard

last time i checked they were still available.

genuine fronts arent actually as expensive as you may think (still much more than locally made though)

I would of thought a w116 still having the genuine mercedes front windsheild to be exceptionally rare. My car has an australian made one and is also due for replacement for the same reason.

TJ 450

My front windscreen is original, on the 6.9. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pez

I am having mine re-done on Thursday [2nd time around, lots of chips here in Colorado] and they are plentiful and cheap.  It runs $165 for me installed.

zedster

Where can you get an original?

BAR

In most minds, it is better to have clear unobstructed vision rather than look through a windscreen that looks like it has been sand blasted (after many years of driving small scrtaches are bound to appear).

If you want to spend more money that the car is worth, go buy a factory screen. If you want to save money, get a locally made product.

After all.. those who wish to revolt at this thought .... how many of you fit the original make / size / batnd of tyre that was supplied ex factory.   Tyre technology has improved so has glass!

Big_Richard

Quote from: BAR on 03 March 2009, 08:44 PM

If you want to spend more money that the car is worth, go buy a factory screen. If you want to save money, get a locally made product.

that comment is offensive, who are you to assume anyones car is worth less than a genuine windscreen ?

WGB

There is one issue for our Australian members.

Up until somewhere in the 90's it was illegal in Oz (One of the sunniest countries on earth) to have anything other than clear glass with a tinted upper band (Maximum 10% of surface area) in the front windscreen.

All Genuine M-B screens were clear only and the tinted band wasn't supplied by M-B until well after the 126 finished production and one way of telling a non-genuine windscreen in teh 80's was if it had a tinted upper band.

I would assume that all genuine M-B windscreens will be sandblasted to some degree by now so that vision is obscured and even the best wiper blades will smear.

My 6.9 has a non-standard tinted (all over) windscreen to match my darker tinted side windows and works very well in our sunny weather.

Bill

oscar

I've been reluctant to buy another screen for the 350 'cause locally they've not only got the upper tint but have also got a black band all the way round.  But I plan on taking the red 280's off for the 350 eventually.  It's clear and nearly like new with no chips or sand blasting.  Or none that I've noticed.  It was a gem of a find.  It was a Canberra car most of it's life and I'm assuming the windscreen is original but I'll have to look for identifying marks of being OEM.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

zedster

I love the word, "windscreen" down under instead of windshield. I do however picture a screen like on a house window with all this wind going through it. A shield on the other hand blocks about everything.  ;D In my case a big ole Nevada rock hit my windscreen/windshield and put a nice nipple  :o in it.

zedster

After just posting to Painting Grill Plastic I noticed you can see the chip in the below picture. The right side of the pic right above what looks to be the steering wheel.

zedster

Found a windshield on ebay but I do not know if it is original:

GOOD WINDSHIELD

I have emailed them and asked.

oscar

IMO you can't beat new.  Every time I've had glass replaced in other cars I didn't realise how bad the old one was until you notice how good a new one is.    I'd be cautious unless I could go see this screen before I purchased.  It might have no cracks or chips but there's no guarantee that there's no sandblasting and it wont be obvious until you get up close and look.  Wiper marks aren't obvious from photos either.

BTW I also had a closer look at the all clear one on the red 280S wreck and it doesn't appear to have any markings at all on it. ie, no circle and star or hint of any other brand.  I always assumed it was OEM but maybe not.   Maybe you should look into getting new OEM and aftermarket quotes before shopping round for 2nd hand.  Two years ago I was quoted for aftermarket $330AUD fitted locally which is about $211US.  In bigger towns this would be cheaper but my one wish was to get a clear screen with no tint or borders and that seems impossible here.  Below are two old pics highlighting that border that I don't want.  The first is the red car's clear screen and the second has that black border round it.

Quote from: zedster on 04 March 2009, 12:19 PM
I love the word, "windscreen" down under instead of windshield. I do however picture a screen like on a house window with all this wind going through it. A shield on the other hand blocks about everything.  ;D In my case a big ole Nevada rock hit my windscreen/windshield and put a nice nipple  :o in it.

It's funny you say that.  Shield does sound more appropriate.  But on the subject of translation, this 280 Haynes manual I've not long had has got a small list of UK v US English terms.   Accelerator v Gas Pedal,  Estate Car v Station Wagon, Spanner v Wrench, Motorway v Freeway and of course, Windsreen v Windshield.   Aus English is a mix of both.  Probably more UK than US but defintiely a mix.  But nowhere does it say a crack in the windscreen/windshield is called a "nipple" :D

1973 350SE, my first & fave

zedster

Quote from: oscar on 06 March 2009, 04:35 PM
But nowhere does it say a crack in the windscreen/windshield is called a "nipple" :D
LOL. I don't know why I said that but it would be a flat nipple if it was a nipple.

Papalangi

In the States, the industry calls the rear window the back glass (or back light) but I don't think windshield is called the front glass.

Hmmm.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8