News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Windshield seal nightmare

Started by Harv, 09 December 2015, 12:13 PM

Harv

The whole file is 925mb. You probably can't get a better video on how to do the job. I've been in college lectures with worse information.

The glass guy has the video and is going to watch it. He mentioned that maybe the seal is wrong? I got it from MB of Naperville, IL. I don't know how they could send me the wrong thing. It wouldn't' even fit on the windshield of it was for another car.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

marku

It really isn't difficult to fit the seal the problem is fitting the trim to the seal. That is hard work and takes most of the time. Getting the trim under the lip of the seal takes some effort. Why MB have done this some one should ask them. The old seal wasn't like his but no doubt the new one will keep the trim in place although I have not heard of the old one coming out. Perhaps the seal is shared with another model.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Casey

Quote from: marku on 10 December 2015, 02:39 PM
It really isn't difficult to fit the seal the problem is fitting the trim to the seal. That is hard work and takes most of the time. Getting the trim under the lip of the seal takes some effort. Why MB have done this some one should ask them. The old seal wasn't like his but no doubt the new one will keep the trim in place although I have not heard of the old one coming out. Perhaps the seal is shared with another model.

Nope, the 116 windshield shape/size is unique to 116's.

Casey

Great video, and I think I will start using a string to make the job easier/faster.  That said, the entire thing can be done with just a plastic spatula if you understand the basics shown - just a $1 black plastic drywall spatula from the hardware store will do with the other necessary ingredient - patience.  One tip contrary to the video - when putting the windshield in, it is easier to finish in the center rather than on one of the top corners.  A second person is not necessary to help, but is definitely appreciable for getting it set in properly.

carl888

That's remarkable that they stopped when they did, most people would have kept going until they broke things!

At least you are now in a position to have it done properly.  Could have been worse.  Good luck.


polymathman

Casey

I agree that I should have ended up in the middle, and I will note this in a future edit of the video. But, boy, sometimes things don't work out like I plan.

I put the windshield in the first time by myself, and it seemed to go easier than when I made the video. I just took my time and it worked right in.
190sl 1957 rusting away
250S 1968 long gone
280SE 1976 got hit, parts
280SE 1979 running fine
C320 4Matic 2005 for wife -Mercedes after MIT

Casey

Quote from: polymathman on 10 December 2015, 11:31 PM
I agree that I should have ended up in the middle, and I will note this in a future edit of the video. But, boy, sometimes things don't work out like I plan.

I put the windshield in the first time by myself, and it seemed to go easier than when I made the video. I just took my time and it worked right in.

Haha, isn't that the truth!  The most important element is time/patience - this is not a job to rush.  I got overconfident after the first 2 or 3 I pulled, then when working one out in a junk yard trying to hurry to get it done, pried too overzealously in the center of the top, and shattered the glass.  So much for the perfect glass I was after.  My criticism was only over a minor detail - the information presented is very thorough and valuable, and it's really a great video - I wish I had seen this a few years back before I had done it myself!  That suction cup also looks like a handy thing to have, although to be honest, it does scare me a little bit as I would worry about putting too much strain on the glass with it.

One thing I didn't see well-detailed was how you applied the sealant.  Where can the MB sealant shown in the video be purchased, and how far will one tube go?  I need to get some of that...

Diesel 617

With two people with mechanical experinace, nut never installed a windshield this is a half a day job.

Your best friend in the whole world while doing this job (besides a second set of hands) is brake lube!!! Silicon brake lube to be exact. you want to grease the entire seal once it is installed on the glass. No trim needs to be removed the car, except the anodized aluminum on the outside of the car.

Tools required
Silicone brake Lube
12 Gauge speaker Wire
At least 2 Paint sticks

1. Affix seal to windshield while glass is out of the car.
2. Lube the anodized aluminum channel around the entire seal.
3. Lube the channel that seals around the windshield frame portion of the car
4. Get 12 gauge copper wire (with plastic coating) and insert it into the portion of the seal channel that affixes to the car it self. The wire ends should meet in the top center of the seal.
5. Insert Anodized aluminum trim around the entire seal/windshield, included the caps
6. Let the show begin! Center the windshield over the car windshield opening, with one person on the inside of the car pulling on the wire, and the other on the out side pushing down on the glass with a good force. The windshield will literally slide into place. Be sure to keep both sides even, corner are especially tricky. If you think you need to pull the windshield out to center it properly (corner don't match up) then do it! It took us 3-4 attempts before we finally aligned the windshield properly. To This day the windshield seals better (no leaks) than when we had a shop install it without lube. Use the paint sticks to shimmy the windshield in place, and to create enough of a gap to install the windshield

If you forgo silicon brake lube there will be a fair amount of unnecessary struggle. If you are mechanically inclined and have another mechanically inclined partner to help you install the windshield, this can be done DIY. I can not stress the importance of the tools listed they are essential/paramount to a successful installation.

Use straight ammonia to clean off the silicon grease from the glass.

This was from memory if you have questions please ask, I may remember.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold


Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Diesel 617

Quote from: Harv on 10 December 2015, 12:36 PM
The whole file is 925mb. You probably can't get a better video on how to do the job. I've been in college lectures with worse information.

The glass guy has the video and is going to watch it. He mentioned that maybe the seal is wrong? I got it from MB of Naperville, IL. I don't know how they could send me the wrong thing. It wouldn't' even fit on the windshield of it was for another car.

Predeceased my seal from the same people. Originally they sent me a door seal to some presumably Mercedes-Benz. No part numbers or anything on it. You will know it is a windshield, because it will fit snug around the windshield, and it is very heavy (for a rubber seal).

X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold


Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Harv

Quote from: Assault on 11 December 2015, 10:29 AM
Predeceased my seal from the same people. Originally they sent me a door seal to some presumably Mercedes-Benz. No part numbers or anything on it. You will know it is a windshield, because it will fit snug around the windshield, and it is very heavy (for a rubber seal).

It was a little strange. Big giant box with a Mercedes label on it. I open it and it was just in there. No bag.

It has to be for a 116 because it's on the glass right now as nice as can be.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Casey

Quote from: Harv on 11 December 2015, 11:22 AM
It was a little strange. Big giant box with a Mercedes label on it. I open it and it was just in there. No bag.

It has to be for a 116 because it's on the glass right now as nice as can be.

That's how I got mine too - just a paper tag held on by a wire indicating the part number, etc.

hagar24

Quote from: floyd111 on 09 December 2015, 10:23 PM
I know some people who know people that can visit that glas guy if you need..

This sounds like me.  8)

hagar24


Harv

Glass guy called..

His words: ''He's brilliant. I've never seen it done that way. It makes so much sense now..''

Taking the car back up today for them to finish the job.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

polymathman

Thanks - just make sure that the flange is free of the primer and old crap. Smooth as a baby's butt.
DO NOT LET THEM USE A SETTING SEALANT! It's got to be a non-setting type, like MB.
190sl 1957 rusting away
250S 1968 long gone
280SE 1976 got hit, parts
280SE 1979 running fine
C320 4Matic 2005 for wife -Mercedes after MIT