News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Windshield Gasket Replacement

Started by Patrick2, 22 December 2022, 07:04 AM

Patrick2

Might anyone know of any windshield replacement guys in the NY Metro Area (Rockland/Westchester) that know how to replace windshield gaskets?  I've been hitting a bunch of dead ends in my search and just don't have the time to do the work myself.

Thanks

Chrystell

Sadly I think you got a problem.  Finding somebody both able and willing to do the job is bound to be extremely difficult. It's neither easy nor fun, but it can be a DIY job.  Maybe find some automotively inclined person locally who'd be willing to do it?  Good luck!.

daantjie

Indeed yes this job is not for the faint of heart and most shops will either not work on it, or cock it up if they do.  Best try and do this yourself.  You will need a 2nd pair of steady hands, and preferably a warm garage or other form of space you can warm up.  The gasket moves and seats much better in warmer ambient conditions.  Many good posts on here on how to do it, but this vid by one of our members is the gold standard for the front which is by far the harder of the 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Zimmersci

The advice I give worked on a MGB windshield seal, which couldn't be less of a feat:
1. Put seal in hot water to warm and make more flexible.
2. Use dish soap a a lubricant for insertion.
3. Get a plastic putty knife or two from the hardware store to use as tools.
4. Make sure the channel(s) on the car are COMPLETELY CLEAN and devoid of old adhesive, etc.
5. Choose a starting spot and got all the way around to the starting place, when completed,       
   tap gently with a rubber tip hammer to assure seat.

HPC

Great video guide!
I am attempting an install of new glass and rubber this weekend...