News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Windscreen seal 116 671 00 20

Started by marku, 22 October 2014, 12:10 PM

Beastie

I've been thinking about getting a new windscreen because mine is abrased from so many years of dust being dragged across the screen by the wipers. At night, especially in the rain, the abrasions scatter light making it hard to see. This thread is making me think twice. :-\
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

marku

Well as I said you can do it but it is really hard work and as other postings here have said that they have had professionals walk away. Trouble is not knowing how to do it - just trial and error. Even then you might not hit the right way. I don't know if I did, probably not, but I could not think of any other way. The manual gives no help at all. Perhaps you should take it in to a shop to be done but it would most likely have to be a restorers as they would have the experience of rubber seals with windscreens having been bonded for some time. But even then there are seals and, from experience, there is the 116 seal. Best of luck.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

mrkozzy

Beastie, The picture shows the absolutely magnificent  view I get thru my new windscreen installed professionally just 4 weeks ago. (October 2014)
I had years of abrasing and a small annoying chip just above the eye line.
I had someone change the dashboard over and asked him to arrange the fitting of  a new windscreen and seal at the same time.
I am extremely pleased with the look of the whole fitment. Even the trim sits properly.
I purchased a genuine MB seal and called a recommended windscreen guy, (who knows the 116 and other mercs) He comes from Dandenong Victoria.
I wasn't there when he did the job however I was told the old one came out and the new rubber and windscreen went in like a 'glove", without much hassle.
I guess I'm trying to say, you need to hunt around and find someone who's done them before. More than likely it will be someone who's been fitting screens for years rather than some young apprentice.
Windscreen and fitting $250 + the cost of the seal extra. (I don't remember how much the seal  was coz it was ordered by someone else and part of a package of work done)

Don't give up up hope.

Heres the finished product.

MrKozzy

Beastie

mrkozzy, that first pic is amazing! That's the kind of view I need through my own screen. I'll ask around the local Merc community to see if I can find someone with experience in fitting seals & windows. It's a must-have.
1979 280SEL

motorstorex

hi.
I've a Mercedes 2 door 1973 280.
Can I use this Windshield Rubbers to my car?    Windshield screen Seal 116-671-00-20

please let me know

polymathman

I just recently replaced both front and real windshields and seals.
If you take it step by step it's pretty easy.
I took a video of the process but I haven't gotten around to finishing it up and posting it.
I'll post a link when it's done.

The chrome trim goes in first, under the flap. Use string (roping) to lock it in.
190sl 1957 rusting away
250S 1968 long gone
280SE 1976 got hit, parts
280SE 1979 running fine
C320 4Matic 2005 for wife -Mercedes after MIT

floyd111

hi.
I've a Mercedes 2 door 1973 280.
Can I use this Windshield Rubbers to my car?    Windshield screen Seal 116-671-00-20

Your car, IF a coupe 280 is a W123-based chassis, not a W116 chassis

You would need to find a A123xxxxx number, not a A116xxxxx number.

your number is A123 6700239

Stan

s class

Doubt its a 123 coupe, it will be a 114 coupe. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

floyd111

possible, indeed, but how is the W114 more likely?

Beastie

Quote from: floyd111 on 09 July 2015, 09:47 PM
possible, indeed, but how is the W114 more likely?
They didn't start making the 123 until 1976.  ;)

I think it could only be a W114... The R107 and C107 weren't available with the 280 until after '73 and I think the W108 coupe was out of production by then. I can't think of any other two door Mercs from '73 that had the 280...
1979 280SEL

floyd111

oops! Missed that!
You are right, off corz. Means he would need rubber A1156700939...