News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Windscreen replacement

Started by koan, 29 September 2009, 02:21 AM

koan

On the freeway just before Christmas my windscreen was hit by a fair size stone. A small crack in the outside layer appeared, this has grown over the months to be now 2/3rds the width of the screen.

I'm finally getting around to doing something about it.

I have a non-OEM seal but several people have told me they are no good, main problem getting the chrome locking strip back in. I can believe this as the windscreen was replaced just before I bought the car and seal and Chrome strip don't fit at all well. Just collected a OEM front seal from M_B.

As far as the screen goes, OEM is about $1600 which the insurers won't cover (they won't pay for the seal either). Alternatives are a screen with a light green band across the top or one with a black edge with a blue band.

Green and 906G paint (Gray Blue Metallic) doesn't sound good but nor does the black edge.

Questions. has anyone seen the black edged screen in a 116 and does anyone know if plain clear no band no black edge screens are available ?

Incidentally rear screens are available from M-B at around $2300.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Bandolero

My 280 has the same paint as your car and my aftermarket screen with the upper tint and the black band around the outside looks great!
Also, the new screen has full tint as well.
My seal was replaced with an aftermarket one and it fitted ok.
The difference between the original and the aftermarket seal is the fact that there is a rubber "lip" that sits over the inner part of the chrome strip.
I got used to this but it doesn't look as nice as the original rubber.
Funny thing, I bought the seal from BEA, the Merc dealers!....ripped off!
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

koan

Quote from: Bandolero on 29 September 2009, 04:00 AM
My 280 has the same paint as your car and my aftermarket screen with the upper tint and the black band around the outside looks great!

Thanks Bandelero,

What colour is the tint across the top?

How big is the black band around the edge, how much can you see?

koan

Bandolero

The tint across the top is a "bluey green".
The black band (That you can see) on the bottom is about 1.5cms and the band up the pillars and across the top is about 1cm.
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

jmperkins

I have replaced 2 rear windshields on my 116's. I have never had any trouble with any of the OEM Seals I have bought. IMO what makes the DIFFERENCE is the experience and quality of work done by the installer! In both cases, I realized that this was a job beyond my abilities.

I hired the same guy (in the SF Bay Area) to replace the windshield and he worked almost a SOLID 3 hours as it takes a fair amount of time to do it right. No problems what so ever witht he trim or leaks afterwards.

Best Wishes,
Joe

Maat1985

i agree i have had windscreens replace a few times already with aftermarket screens and the dont fit 100% however there was a noticable difference when installed by different people..... i have one 280 with a front screen with a green band and it looks ok..... i have another with a green band and a black edge.... it would look good if on the right coloured car however i think plain looks better on my car however at the cost difference being either $230 (what i paid for the green band one) or $1600 i would go with the green band for sure.....
DRIVER - 1977 W116 280SEL Orange....
PARTS - 1977 W116 280SE White....
DECEASED - 1977 W116 280SE Maple Yellow....
DECEASED - 1976 W116 280SE Green....

koan

The repairer is going to get a black edged screen in for me to have a look at, if I'm not happy with it he'll get me the plain but banded screen.

I'm going to remove the old screen by cutting out the stuffed seal, polish up the chrome pieces and fix whatever problems are there underneath the seal. He will then come round and fit the screen.

Shame the insurer (Shanons) won't carry the cost of a genuine screen.

koan

WGB

I never knew there was a black edged screen for a 116.

I always thought the black edge was the primer coat that was used for the sealant to bond to (and cover the sealant from view) on a bonded windscreen.

I would have thought with a rubber seal it was unnecessary.

Bill

Bandolero

No, the black edge is for decoration. it also has the little dots as well.

koan

Quote from: WGB on 02 October 2009, 07:32 AM
I never knew there was a black edged screen for a 116.

I think the black dotty edge is to hide the sealant and it's become the default "fashion", needed or not.

The only reason I'll go with the black edge is if it allow a better colour band which can't be avoided.

koan

oscar

There's an old pic of my brown car's black banded screen below.  It's not overly huge but I suppose obvious if you're not use to it and like Maat says, with the right coloured duco it would blend well.  Either way you might not notice it after a while but like everyone I'd prefer without the dots and band.  Don't mind the green band up top though.  I thought I had a clear screen lying round but all mine have the green strip.  The 100% clear one I thought I had is a rear screen  ::)

The black band is noticeable inside the car as well. It doesn't get hidden by the pillar or ceiling mouldings.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

I talked to the guy replacing my windscreen during the week, he was having trouble getting the chrome moulds to stay in place.

He thought he finally had them in place and came round to put the assembled windscreen in the car. No good, the moulds kept springing out.

He called a few people and everyone seems to be having trouble with the current batch of rubbers, some part of it is too thick, don't exactly know which part, there are several grooves, channels and flaps,

The trick seems to be to tuck the mould under one of the flaps, anyone experienced in this area?

koan

koan

Finally have the front screen installed.

The problem seems to be a flap moulded into the rubber that normally goes under the chrome moulding but it seems to be too thick too allow the mould to "click" into place.

If the flap is lifted, the moulding installed under the flap it all works, that's what I have now.

I don't quite understand the purpose of the flap, the only reason for it to be there is to sit over the moulding, I think that's the way its supposed to be. The flap runs around the inside edge of the mould.

It looks good, I'll get a picture up soon.

The seal is a 126 part number but I'm told 126s had a glued in screen, not a rubber seal.

The guy who did the job I can recommend, he was very patient and professional, wanted it to be right to his and my satisfaction, came to my place twice, tried two seals, OEM and not, spent a lot more time on it than could be reasonably expected.

Greg at Windscreen Deals (one or two words not sure) 03 9458 5431.

koan

Bandolero

Yes, you're right. The flap has to go over the trim. It sucks as it's not needed and doesn't look as good as the original setup!

koan

Quote from: Bandolero on 22 December 2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, you're right. The flap has to go over the trim. It sucks as it's not needed and doesn't look as good as the original setup!

Doesn't look too bad...

koan