News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

window noise....

Started by jjb-w116-hu, 07 February 2011, 10:36 PM

jjb-w116-hu

hi guys, have a question for you , my front drivers window feels drearily slow and while i know they front's are by design slower, i am wondering if something is wrong or which/what part might need a squeeze of grease/WD40 - as its the last inner door panel actually on my beloved w116 i would love a quick fix.

RF - panel off due to cast channelling and rubber needed replacing/faffing with
FR - panel off as needed window adjust as whole thing was stuck
RR - panel off as ye old cast crank's teeth arent meshing/broken _ how im to fix this with a part from the wreckers i am still not to sure of, the thing weights a ton....

Link to video of noise (it sounds like someone's letting out the crypt-keeper! )  :o

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/jjb-w116-hu/w116/?action=view&current=mb_window_noise.mp4

Hemersam

Three of the windows in my '78 280SE work fine. But the passenger front is horribly slow and groans like it's constipated (or something like that). This is not much of a problem since no-one ever rides in the back seat and I rarely have a front passenger. Some things you just learn to live with, eh?
Hemersam

KenM

That sounds more mechanical than glass binding on rubber, I'd be looking inside the door and checking the drive train, the arms are prone to breaking so might need a clean up and re lube in there to relieve some stress.

jbrasile

I would agree with KenM, the noise is probably mechanical. As previously mentioned, the mechanism in these cars tend to warp and break over the years causing all sorts of problems.

Don't expect however to ever have fast front windows, I have replaced the regulator in my 78 450SEL during the restoration process as well as both front ones on a client's 6.9 and they are still pretty slow. I have adjusted the tracks as per the manual and still not much difference.

Word of caution.... installing the new regulator and getting everything lined up is not an easy job.... first door of my 450 took about 6 hours to get right...

Regards,

Joe Brasileiro
MBClassic.net
info@mbclassic.net

jjb-w116-hu

thanks for the thoughts guys - is there an up=amp one could do to the motor, and as for the cast iron regulator is there now a replacement kit that isn't so heinous?

jbrasile

As far as I know, no upgrade to the motor or regulator.

It's funny, one of my clients has a 1980 280SE and his front windows are really quick, my 1980 450SEL in LA also has faster windows, checking the EPC the motors are the same throughout production, don't know what to think...

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

The rears are always faster, is this due to some gearing in the regulator ? Could one swap the/a rear regulator for a front one?

jbrasile

No you can't swap regulators back to front. I think the reason for the rears being faster is the weight and shape of the glass, since they are basically rectangular you have more uniform contact with the window tracks which makes them slide easier.

Joe