News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Window Motor Installation

Started by Mattr, 18 April 2020, 05:18 PM

Mattr

Hey folks,

So, I'm working on trying to rebuild the interior of my blue 6.9, and came across a problem: I've no idea how to get the window motor into place. I tried feeding it through the small opening at the bottom, but that doesn't seem to work. Does the door itself come apart? I saw bolts on part of it, but other parts looked like they were all one giant piece, and so I wasn't certain how this is supposed to be done.

I checked the service manual and it says "unbolt motor. Remove" in fairly literal terms. Left me a touch confused as to how to get the gorram thing out of the door.

Also, the plastic sleeves that cover the motor assembly on mine are all pretty beaten up/cracked. Is this a part I can buy separately, or something I should hit up my 3D-printing friends for? I didn't see a part number on it (but it was dark and I was pissed after smashing my knuckles trying to wiggle the motor into place, so I might have missed it).

1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

ptashek

You have to unbolt the motor after removing the regulator. Once the regulator is out, the motor should be able to turn to its side and slide out. I can't recall it being especially difficult having done all four.

As for the housing, it's not a separate part. If you have access to a 3D printer it'll be very simple to reproduce.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mattr

I have the motor and regulator out . I'm trying to get it back in, and it doesn't fit. There is a vertical rail from the window frame installed, do I need to remove that as well? 
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

ptashek

Quote from: Mattr on 18 April 2020, 07:19 PM
I have the motor and regulator out . I'm trying to get it back in, and it doesn't fit. There is a vertical rail from the window frame installed, do I need to remove that as well?

The rail the window slides on? Yes, that needs to come out too.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mattr

Quote from: ptashek on 19 April 2020, 05:32 AM
Quote from: Mattr on 18 April 2020, 07:19 PM

The rail the window slides on? Yes, that needs to come out too.
Yeah, Looking at it again last night, I realized that it was installed after the window got pulled so that he could re-add the mirror to the vehicle. I started the disassembly of the window frame last night, but got stuck on the over-the-window trim piece. I need to pop out my shop manual and figure out how it comes off.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Alec300SD

I did this job a last year...without removing the window pane.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/400401-1978-w116-window-regulator-replacement-%96-driver%92s-door.html
If you are not adverse to drilling the three access holes (per the FSM job 72-185), you can as well.

Since the motor is out of the car, you need to separate it from your regulator and position the motor in the door frame.
The motor is reattached once the regulator is back in the door frame.

Prop the window up.
I use  a couple of long strips of blue painter's tape looped over the window frame and attached to the interior and exterior of the window pane.

Remove your door check to have room to postion the motor in the vertical well.
With the motor in position, use a large combo wrench as a place holder to keep the motor pushed against the exterior skin of the door.
Run the harness wires and elecric motor wires throuh the opening in the interior door bracket (where the vacuuum pipes rum).
Reinstall your window regulator and snug the two bolts and the nut.

Get a good strong flashlight.
Sit on the ground have your eyes level with the 3 access holes for the electric motor.
With one hand holding the bottom of the motor housing and the other holding the flashlight, position the motor so the bolt holes line up.
Put down the flashlight, insert a small Phillips screwdriver into the top bolt hole.
Push the motor firmly against the window regulator, while using your other hand to start the lower rear bolt.
Install the lower front bolt, then remove the Phillips screwdriver to  attach the top bolt.

Slide the black harness protector sleeve back over the 4 wires and attach them to the teminal block.
Reattach your window regulator arm to the window channel at the base of the window pane.

Note:  Lock the window regulator arm against lower part of the window track with needle-nose vise grips...to make it easier to install the clip on top of the cupped star washer.
Also don't forget to lubricate the moving parts of the window regulator, vertical track, and the sliding jaws.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

Mattr

Quote from: Alec300SD on 19 April 2020, 03:25 PM
I did this job a last year...without removing the window pane.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/400401-1978-w116-window-regulator-replacement-%96-driver%92s-door.html
If you are not adverse to drilling the three access holes (per the FSM job 72-185), you can as well.

Since the motor is out of the car, you need to separate it from your regulator and position the motor in the door frame.
The motor is reattached once the regulator is back in the door frame.

Prop the window up.
I use  a couple of long strips of blue painter's tape looped over the window frame and attached to the interior and exterior of the window pane.

Remove your door check to have room to postion the motor in the vertical well.
With the motor in position, use a large combo wrench as a place holder to keep the motor pushed against the exterior skin of the door.
Run the harness wires and elecric motor wires throuh the opening in the interior door bracket (where the vacuuum pipes rum).
Reinstall your window regulator and snug the two bolts and the nut.
My car has the afore-mentioned holes already drilled in it. I can't get the motor to slide past the window rail that's near the mirror.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Alec300SD

Ah, I see the dilemma, you are aproaching from above, but you need to approach from below.

With the door check removed, from below slide the motor in horizontally gear first (as if it were the actual door check).
Then pivot the the motor up so it is vertical in the well.

Next  push the motor in the well towards the outer door skin and wedge a tool to keep it in place.
This will give you the room to install the regulator.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

rosenfe

Check mercedessource web site for their video on window regulator replacement. He shows you how to get motor back in.

Mattr

Quote from: rosenfe on 25 April 2020, 02:56 PM
Check mercedessource web site for their video on window regulator replacement. He shows you how to get motor back in.
Yeah, I saw that. I am half-tempted to spend the $15 to buy the video, but was trying to avoid that. Every time I go to fix something, I find something else that needs doing, and suddenly I'm out several hundred more (in parts, bizarre, specific tools, etc) than originally planned.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

ckamila

If its  US car then you have the extra metal bar further reducing space. I just replaced regulator and removed the motor. On these cars you must remove the forward window channel. Remove mirror and then pull the window channel felt away from the metal channel. Your find two screws to remove. Then you can pull up and twist channel to allow motor to slip passed.

Here is the procedure laid out by joe:

These regulators are not fun to change.... I did the passenger's side yesterday on the 450SEL in LA.
[size=78%]Since you have the door panel removed, the regulator to glass rail clip undone and the bolts that hold the regulator to the door removed here is what's left:[/size]

[/size][size=78%]1) Remove the 2 10mm screws that hold the front glass track to the top of the door, this is where the ext rear view mirror is held and you must remove this track to clear the way for the window motor to come out together with the regulator[/size]

[/size][size=78%]2) Remove external chrome strip at the base of the window, this will allow you to remove the external window wipe[/size]

[/size][size=78%]3) Remove exterior and interior window wipe[/size]

[/size][size=78%]4) Remove enough of the window track felt so you can move the front track and wiggle it to get it out.[/size]

[/size][size=78%]5) With the glass lowered manually, pull the front track towards the back of the door.[/size]

[/size][size=78%]6) Twist the track to clear the glass and remove it from door pulling it up/back[/size]

[/size][size=78%]7) Raise window manually[/size]

[/size][size=78%] 8) Remove electrical wires from regulator

9) Pull wires out of protective sleeve

10) Remove regulator assembly together with motor

11) Separate motor from regulator

12) Assemble motor on new regulator

13) Transfer electrical plate connector from old regulator to new one

14) Re-install regulator in door and re-assemble all removed parts

15) Grease-up new regulator gears

Tip: Once everything is back in its place, loosen rear window track top and bottom bolts, lower window electrically, tighten lower bolt, raise it and tighten top bolt. This will help the track to be positioned correctly and improve speed.

Hope this info helps.

Tks,

Joe

[/size]
If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K