News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

window failure

Started by nathan, 20 March 2011, 06:15 AM

nathan

so i thought id do something for the 6.9 for the first time in a long time.
mistake #1
i had all new rubber garnish strips for the car doors (the bits with the rubber and chrome in the mid door). mine werent bad but unpleasant undividuals over the years had taken a few bits out of the existing ones and they are surprisingly inexpensive so i bought them from the classic centre a year ago.  at the same time i thought id do all the kickstraps which were a bit loose and would stop my new strips from getting damaged by careless opening.
so after doing the kickstraps and on the last door (rear passenger), i also greased up the window vertical support bar for smooth running.  when i went to test the rear passenger window, the unfortunate sound only a classic car enthusiast can appreciate - crack, followed by more crackling, and some crunching.
that bloody horizontal bar at the base of the window was rusty and had snapped!
its amazing after disassembling so many 116s, very few of these bars seem to escape the rust.
we have some of the rubber channel to replace the old stuff with, but the detali.ru site is down and i cant find the part number for the support?
anyhow, next time you have your interior door panels off, remember to check these vulnerable things so you dont get a surprise when you least expect it!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

I don't think you can buy that part separate, if its the part on the bottom of the glass, i think it comes with the glass.

Hopefully i'm incorrect.

jbrasile

Yes Nathan, Major Tom is right.... the bottom part is not available without the glass anymore, sorry....

Tks,

Joe

koan

The detali ru site changed, now access to their EPC has to be done by going in from the front page, linking directly to any level of the EPC no longer works.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

jbrasile

Hi Guys,

If anyone wishes to purchase an official EPC subscription I can do it for you. The cost is US$12.00 per year and all I need is:

Name
CC information including the security code
Billing address

Because my company's main office is in the US and all of our cc's have billing adresses in the States we have no problem getting subscriptions, in fact I already do this for several of our customers in Brazil.

If anyone is interested please send an email to:

info@mbclassic.net or joe@mbklassic.net

Tks,

Joe

vlv8vic

My drivers side window rail/bar was exactly the same - split right up the middle. Not ideal, and not easy but i spot welded it and rust treated it and ended up with a strong working result.  I did as much on this car as cheap as possible though which i know isn't everyones kettle of fish.

oscar

Regarding detali ru, a while back someone on benzworld tracked em down to this link -
Oops wrong one, try this.
http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/cats/m.mycat?cat=mb&client=dr2000

1973 350SE, my first & fave